Closed loop for a beginner

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
ok I hope this is in the correct forum sorry if it isn't

Ok I don't wans go out and buy a 150 to 200 dollar in line pump for just a closed loop it would be more econmical for me to just use what I have and I do have two sen 500 GPU pumps laying around and a ehiem 300 gpu pump

And I was wondering if I get a stand for my 10 gallon tank if I could sit it on the side of either of my tanks and fill it up with water and put my returns in it and used that as a closed loop system I would have two lines in each return. One sucking the water in and one that pumped the water back out linda like a under water inline

The ten gallon wouldn't even have to be salt water really would it????

Thank ahead!!!

Do you mean just use the 10 gal tank to fill it with water just for the mere fact that the pumps are submersible pumps and therefore have to sit in water to do the closed loop? :)

es that's exactly what I mean cause in a cheapo and am now paying ok my 90 day layaway plan on a 500 gallon tank that hadn't been built yet I'm not sure if I want it 10 feet or 12 cause I'm not gonna live in the house I'm in now and rooms in houses aint always that big I want the 12 footer though.

And again yes krish that's exactly what I mean

That could probably work! I think the main issue you may have though is two pumps in a closed 10 gal tank heating up. You will probably need to put a fan or something on it to keep the water cool so the pumps don't overheat. I'm thinking there must be a reason why some pumps can't be used externally (might need water to keep them cool from over heating...just a thought) and so you won't want that little 10 gal to bcome a sauna for the pumps...Just thinking out loud. Sure others will chime in soon :)

No it would not work. The loop would then no longer be closed. You would drain the tank (or most of it) into the 10 gal tank.

In principal, a closed loop has 3 parts, (1) exit from the tank to the pump, (2) the pump, (3) the return from the pump back into the tank. If the pump is not an inline pump then the water from (1) will exit the tank and fill your 10 gal tank with water from your display. If it fills faster than your submersible pump pushes it back to the tank, then overflow. Power goes out, overflow.

Now, if everything is plumbed together and you use it like an inline pump, then those pumps might work. But they do have a tendency to leak and if the power went out, and there was a small leak, it would fill the 10 gal with water from the display.

The other problem with those pumps is the closed loop would have to be very small - maybe 2 outlets maximum. Rule of thumb is you want about 300 gal/hr from each outlet. The $150-200 pumps push around 2500 gal/hr or so, so that leaves you with the opportunity to plumb about 6-8 outlets.

Mat

No it would not work. The loop would then no longer be closed. You would drain the tank (or most of it) into the 10 gal tank.

I think he only meant sitting the pump in water (a 10gal tank full) only because the pump is supposed to be submerged, but not actually to suck water from the 10 gal to feed the main tank. It will be like setting up an "over the top" closed loop with all the plumbing, but instead of the pump sitting in the stand, on a shelf, or on the floor like we normally do with external pumps, he will sit it in a 10 gal tank with water in it for whatever reason the pump needs to be submerged (being a submersible pump) which is possibly for heat purposes. The 10 gal wouldn't serve any other purpose than a place for the pump to sit. Hope that makes sense. :)

Last edited:
Now, if everything is plumbed together and you use it like an inline pump, then those pumps might work. But they do have a tendency to leak and if the power went out, and there was a small leak, it would fill the 10 gal with water from the display.

The other problem with those pumps is the closed loop would have to be very small - maybe 2 outlets maximum. Rule of thumb is you want about 300 gal/hr from each outlet. The $150-200 pumps push around 2500 gal/hr or so, so that leaves you with the opportunity to plumb about 6-8 outlets.

There are still these two issues. The biggest issue being that those pumps are not very powerful.

There are still these two issues. The biggest issue being that those pumps are not very powerful.

Yeah...I agree. Nothing beats an external pump with good gph and head pressure:)

who's for got about this one

You show me an inline pump that pumps 2500 gph for around 150 to 200 bucks and I'll show you a man on the moon

Thanks though guys ok just gonna get some hydors unless you can show me where that inline is for that price and it not be on ebay I don't like ebay

okmaybe I should have said that ibwamted it more toward the smaller side of the 2 numbers

I just don't see how its econmical to pay 200 bucks + for a pump sorry I just can't do it man but if I find one for 150 OR LESS I'd definetly get quick

Sorry for the confusion but yes you did show me the light though lol

find a used pump... aroung here i see littlegiant and other similar pumps go for cheap all the time... i got a little giant 3mdq-x for 25 bucks one time :)

goods idea what is your LOL giant pump rated at and what do you use it for? I never really herd the name much but hey I said I was up for suggestions LOL. I'm thinkin about getting a mag 9 and some kind of skimmer from a friend in the equip for sale forum

What do you guys think of a mag 9??

Thanks

man if you're going to have a 500gal, you will be spending well over $200 for pumps. I have the Sequence Snapper from Marinedepot.com for my CLS.

wouldnt it be a problem with power outages and such because the main tank will drain a certain amount of water when the pumps shut off & a 10g could barely hold the drainage. on top of that the water letter would have to be a certain height for the pump to run(probably halfway), then add the drainage and you're looking at a big spill. Hope this makes sense.

eah I'm finding out all kinds new stuff about my closed loop project I think I'm just gonna go with a few hydors so that will be enough maybe even 3 or 4

Back