Closed loop pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Darthv247

Im just wondering what are the best types of pumps for use in a closed loop application.

Does the pump need to be pressure rated or a high pressure pump? For instance would a ReeFlo baracuda or a ReeFlo Tiger Shark High Pressure Pump be better?

Im guessing the only thing that would be better about the pressure pump is it wont be losing any pressure with all the plumbing thats involved in a closed loop ?

You are on the right track in thinking about all the plumbing..... but you can solve that much cheaper (material $$ and power $$) by upsizing your pipe to counter the friction losses to be overcome. I don't have a link handy, but check the head loss from 100' of 2" vs. 100" of 3/4"..... you will be amazed!
Good luck :)

ok i follow you. So it shouldnt matter if the pump is pressure rated or not? im just a little confused because some sites show the high pressure pumps as being for closed loops then other sites (retailers) show the non pressure rated pumps to be best for closed loops. Ok forget the pressure rated pumps they use way too much wattage.

Im trying to decide between these 2 pumps atm for a closed loop system with a MBV to multiple manifolds.

: ReeFlo Hammerhead Gold (5555gph)

Description
Main Features

Features:
Quiet operation
Minimal heat transfer
Units are pre-wired with an 8ft cord and molded 115V plug
Low Wattage
Fan-cooled motor
Glass Reinforced Polypro Housing
Silicon Carbide Seals
Specifications:
Maximum Flow Rate: 5555gph
Maximum Shut-Off Head: 23`
Maximum Wattage: 297W
Average Wattage: 272W
Inlet/Outlet: 1.5"/1.5"
Warranty: 5-year manufacturer`s warranty

I would like to go with the hammerhead gold because it takes less wattage than the normal hammerhead but it isnt listed as a flow biased pump or a high pressure pump so i dont know which would be better.

Description heres the normal hammerhead (5800gph)
Main Features

"The Hammerhead™ is the most powerful pump in its class. This energy efficient pump is ideal for 300-500 gallon aquariums with sump return systems requiring a minimum of 15 feet static head. This unit is rated for a maximum flow rate of 5800gph, a shut off head of 23 feet and maximum wattage of 375/ 3 amps. Using a 1/3 horsepower Baldor® TEFC Motor manufactured in the USA.

Features:
Quiet operation
Minimal heat transfer
Units are pre-wired with an 8ft cord and molded 115V plug
Low Speed
Low Wattage
Flow-biased pump
Fan-cooled motor
Specifications:
Maximum Flow Rate: 5800gph
Maximum Shut-Off Head: 23`
Maximum Wattage: 375W
Average Wattage: 335W
Inlet/Outlet: 1.5" FNPT / 1.5" FNPT
Dimensions (L x W x H): 14.20" x 8.33" x 7.54"
Warranty: 3-year manufacturer`s warranty
"

Also would these be overkill for roughly a 250 gallon system ? Just for the closed loop and another smaller pump running my sump return. might be able to feed a fuge or frag tank off the closed loop as well ?

Last edited:
The hammerhead will be fine.. I use a barracuda on my 210.

here are a few key phrases you should look at regarding the pumps you listed.

Manta ray: tanks with sump return systems requiring a minimum of 10 feet static head ' /Average Wattage: 734W

Barracuda gold: Maximum Shut-Off Head: 23` Low Wattage / Average Wattage: 272W

hammerhead: Maximum Shut-Off Head: 23` Average Wattage: 335W

Last edited:
yeah i took the manta ray off my list for sure. its way too much wattage and i wont need all that pressure.

So now im between the hammerhead gold or hammerhead. the gold uses less wattage but gets a little less flow and is about 100 bucks more than the hammerhead. but i figure i would save that in electricity pretty fast right ?

Well, 63 watts at 8 cents kwh is 3.68 a month in savings. In three years, I would save $132. Id bet in Florida you pay more than that. Here is a tank electrical calculator that I find useful, yet depressing.

yeah electricity is a lot here. but yeah still would take awhile to recoup but still may be worthwhile and "Green" right hehe. Im pretty far off the build im really just looking into what i will want soon as i can afford it. I will def post the build when i do. thanx for the help.

IMO I'd get the gold. Not only are you getting the added electricity savings, but also it has a longer warranty. Even if you don't make up the difference in the first year or 2, in the long run not having to replace a pump in 4 years would easily make up the difference.

Back