Closed Loop question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidl

I have an acrylic 56g tank and am planning to drill it for a closed loop. I currently have a mag7 pump and was considering using 4 3/4" bulkheads with a SQWD in between ( 2 bulkheads on each side) and 1.5" PVC.

Would this be way too many bulkheads for a mag7? As I don't have much budget for a new pump , would I be better off with just 2 bulkheads?

My coral plans at this time is for some soft corals nad maybe some LPS corals

Thanks

I have an acrylic 56g tank and am planning to drill it for a closed loop. I currently have a mag7 pump and was considering using 4 3/4" bulkheads with a SQWD in between ( 2 bulkheads on each side) and 1.5" PVC.

Would this be way too many bulkheads for a mag7? As I don't have much budget for a new pump , would I be better off with just 2 bulkheads?

My coral plans at this time is for some soft corals nad maybe some LPS corals

Thanks

you would be better off using some Korilia 4s or other powerheads, with a mag7 you wont get any good flow from a closed loop...

O-K.. I think that was pretty much a consensus :D sounds like I better save up for a new pump, something in the 1200 gph range?

I agree with both the above (based on experience). That setup will give pretty whimpy flow out of each bulkhead. If anything, with that pump, I'd go with just two bulkheads on the CL and supplement that with a K2, or K3.

If your going to have only softies then 1200GPH should be OK. If you want SPS then shoot for 3000GPH or more. Three K would give you a 56x turnover. 1200 only gives you 21x and IMO isnt enough for most corals.

If I were you, I'd set the tank up with the CL and the mag7 , toss the scwd. They're known to eat up flow and eventually quit working. Then as money permits, add a couple tunze nanos at 1200GPH each or MJ mods, and upgrade the mag to an eheim or potentially an external pump that will run cooler and quieter.

If you really must use the scwd. Take a look at this thread for a mod. It opens it up to allow for more flow and makes it accessible for cleaning the gears

Ok, thanks to Reef Frontiers member Roscoe I have a dart pump now.. this thing is scary compared to my mag7.. 2" input ang 1 1/2" output. I keep imagining everything sucked into a vortex..

anyhow, I imagine I should drill 2 2" inputs using 2" PVC and about then 6 3/4" outputs for the closed loop, using 1 1/2" pvc?

I have read lots of articles here and other places, but it never hurts to ask before you begin drilling.

-David

If your going to have only softies then 1200GPH should be OK. If you want SPS then shoot for 3000GPH or more. Three K would give you a 56x turnover. 1200 only gives you 21x and IMO isnt enough for most corals.

If I were you, I'd set the tank up with the CL and the mag7 , toss the scwd. They're known to eat up flow and eventually quit working. Then as money permits, add a couple tunze nanos at 1200GPH each or MJ mods, and upgrade the mag to an eheim or potentially an external pump that will run cooler and quieter.

If you really must use the scwd. Take a look at this thread for a mod. It opens it up to allow for more flow and makes it accessible for cleaning the gears

I have a 125 coming and I'm gonna use a dart pump and two K-4's and a 1200GPH return pump form the sump!
that's 7000 GPH give or take for head and elbow loss, in a 125 4'6"x 24"x 20" deep tank!
I'm only gonna have 60x turnover.
And I think I'll still need more???????

Man if only I had the space.. I have been tending to my 55g glass tank for about 5 years now.. nothing fancy, an anemone, 2 clowns and some polyps. and a closed loop powered by a mag7.. but was getting a bit bored with it so I thought i would get an acrylic tank and try making a drilled closed loop and see if i can get some corals. which is pretty much where I am today.. definitely more excited about the tank than I have been in the last 2 years.. but I have bad luck in most of my DIY projects.. so I am going slowly on this.. :)

I have a 125 coming and I'm gonna use a dart pump and two K-4's and a 1200GPH return pump form the sump!
that's 7000 GPH give or take for head and elbow loss, in a 125 4'6"x 24"x 20" deep tank!
I'm only gonna have 60x turnover.
And I think I'll still need more???????

good read a lot and ask questions!
Plan it out carefully and don't get ahead of your self!
I've been planning this one for months and started makeing a list of what I needed at the same time.
It changed many times.
But I ordered everything befor I even have the tank!
I want EVERYTHING here when I'm ready so I don't have to go "OH crap, I need _____ "

I want EVERYTHING here when I'm ready so I don't have to go "OH crap, I need _____ "

Oh dont kid yourself!! Your going to do that anyway. If not, you'll dream up something to need.

Congrats on the dart davidl You wont be dissapointed. Darts are a nice quiet pump for a CL. Try to imagine your aquascaping before drililng. You dont want a nozzel two inches behind an ideal place for a coral. You'll blast the flesh right off of it.

Oh dont kid yourself!! Your going to do that anyway. If not, you'll dream up something to need.

Congrats on the dart davidl You wont be dissapointed. Darts are a nice quiet pump for a CL. Try to imagine your aquascaping before drililng. You dont want a nozzel two inches behind an ideal place for a coral. You'll blast the flesh right off of it.

I know your right, but I'm to convince myself I've got all my bases covered. LOL

Back