closed loop system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

x947

im going to plumb a closed loop system across the back of my 90 acrylic. I want to targer 1500 gph of additional flow. I have 3 alternatives and would like to get opinions on each set up :

1 a single system with one feed on each side of the tank and 3 returns on each side run by one 1500 gph pump

2 two 750 gph systems with one pump, feed and 3 returns for each side of the tank (left and right)

3 two 750 gph systems with a pump and feed on the left side returning on the right and a pump and feed on the right side returning on the left - kind of a criss crossing of the flows

any real advantages or disadvantages to one of these over the others ?

thanks
Mike

1500 GPH is a lot of water. Not that I am saying more water flow is bad, on the contrary, I am all for more water flow. At 90 gallons, 15 turns an hour is only 1350 GPH. The problem you might have at 1500 is to much flow upsetting your corals. I might consider 1000 GPH. I also put my returns at the bottom pointing up so waste is lifted up towards the overflow so it can be removed by the filtration.

I'm considering a similar option for the 90 I'm setting up except with an even bigger pump. I have a T4 velocity (1100gph) and have two sea swirls that I'm thinking of putting on a closed loop with a 3000gph pump and a couple of koralias.

I have about 35x turnover in my 34g and it still looks like it's not enough. Going to try to up that to about 45-50x. I think it also depends on concentrated or more dispersed flow and the corals you're going to keep. I've seen some people with SPS tanks (smaller ones) with 60x+ turnover but use gental flow from koralias or tunze pumps.

I agree that 15X-20X turnover isn't too much for SPS. If you have clams, make sure they aren't in a high flow area. Even more important than the quantity of flow is the quality. The more random, the better. You want to stay away from a laminar, or thin, straight flow. Colliding flow patterns creates a great random flow.

Check out the reef central tank of the month and look at the flow there its over 100X
mine is over 30X. It really depends on how it is placed or if it is strong enoughp to make waves or surge and not directly at the coral !

Back