closed loop?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A closed loop is a system that circulates the aquarium water without ever passing through sumps, filters, refugiums, etc. It eliminates visible pumps and powerheads inside the tank. Usually water enters the loop through an overflow and immediately returns to the tank again through bulkhead fittings in the back and sometimes sides of the tank. It's only purpose is circulation, which is extremely important in certain types of reefs, like SPS.

Clayton

Here's a picture of my closed loop:

41nikdrill4.jpg

Here is an example of an over the back closed loop design on a small tank Over the tank closed loop design

Closed Loop SCWD Plumbing

That is a motorized ball valve. The pump is not in the picture, but is an Ampmaster 3000. The two pump intakes on the right side go down into the pump. The motorized ball valve is wired to a timer, and I have it set to switch the flow from right to left side every 7 minutes or so.

Dang. I am looking for a pump that is external and could sit on TOP of the plumbing like the ballvalve assembly you have. I think the plumbing for the closed loop is going to be all on top of the tank, and thus I have to find a pump that either will rest on my eurobracing, or can be positioned on the top of the apex of the plumbing.

sryder - I bought it from Custom Aquatic (also a sponsor). If you click through their banner on the sponsor's page, it sets you up for a 5% discount upon checkout. My MBV is the 3-way 1-1/2": Hayward Motorized Ball Valves

nikki, expensive little buggers. how are they driven? do you need some sort of controller? steve

hey if you order 4 or more there only 84.00.....lol thanks dude

Back