cloudy water?????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

al001

I have 29 gal saltwater i change my water and i got cloudy over the night.
i use RO water.
Dose any one tell me what happen?

First off, welcome to Reef Frontiers!
Unfortunately it’s a little hard to answer what has happened with your tank based upon the limited amount of info you have given.
How long has this tank been set up?
Does it have a sand bed in it, and if so did you stir it up while doing the water change?
How did you prepare the new water for the water change?
What brand of salt mix did you use?
Is it a different brand of salt mix than you normally use?
How much water did you change?
Maybe by answering these questions it’ll be easier to pinpoint what could be the problem.
It maybe a water bourne algae or bacterial bloom, but that’s just a shot in the dark at this point.

Last edited:
Welcome to RF!! Rob has asked all the important question already so we'll wait to hear from you. Should be an easy fix:)

Thanks for answer my question.
I have my tank for 3 months,but the water got cloudy over the night after i mixed with the same salt that i used before.It happened when i used the heater to reach my aquarium temp.
Thanks again.

Have you changed anything in the tank recently...Added new rock, removed some rock etc? Could possibly be a bacterial bloom that will make the water look cloudy. I had it happen to me about 2 weeks ago and cleared up about 24 hours or so afterwards. Anyway to post a pic?:)

sheesh this guy just doesnt get it

Not everyone knows everything there is to know about the hobby, that is why we have forums to learn and ask questions...I think it's time to lighten up some and instead of making negative comments like that, possibly offer some positive feedback or advice.

Last edited:
sheesh this guy just doesnt get it

Very broad statement don't you think? Not a warm welcome, we don't treat people like that, everyone has to start somewhere, including you so ease up!

al001 welcome to RF, it is possible your saltmix didn't dissolve throughly & may of needed to be aerated overnight? DO you make the Ro/DI water in a tub or tank & run a pump & heater to throughly mix it overnight?

Thanks for anwer.
I'm new in this hobby.My water got clear.I use salt mix from LFS store.
I have a powerhad 200 gph is that ok for my 29g tank?
Waht i have is:
15lb LR
1 Percula Clownfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 LTA
For lighting 2T-5 72w right on top off the tank is light ok?

Thanks for anwer.
I'm new in this hobby.My water got clear.I use salt mix from LFS store.
I have a powerhad 200 gph is that ok for my 29g tank?
Waht i have is:
15lb LR
1 Percula Clownfish
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 LTA
For lighting 2T-5 72w right on top off the tank is light ok?

Good to hear it cleared up for ya!:) As for the flow, 200 gph is a little on the low side. I'd add in a bit more to get better circulation and catch all the dead spots in your tank. Here's a thread that will give you some ideas as to what people are using for flow in various sized tanks http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18140 As for lighting, that's perfect IMO at about 5 watts per gal which should support quite a bit of corals underneath it. Only other thing I'd probably suggest is maybe add in a little more live rock but not totally necessary unless you need the extra filtration and also, your tank may eventuially become to small to house the hippo:)

Oh (LOL) I thought it was dual 72 watt :oops: Well, depending on what you want to support under it, you could need a bit more lighting or you may be just fine:)

Very broad statement don't you think? Not a warm welcome, we don't treat people like that, everyone has to start somewhere, including you so ease up!

al001 welcome to RF, it is possible your saltmix didn't dissolve throughly & may of needed to be aerated overnight? DO you make the Ro/DI water in a tub or tank & run a pump & heater to throughly mix it overnight?

I agree sometimes the salt does not mix right,and also some salts have diffrent grade and thats why i asked what salt did you use.:cool http://www.advancedtanks.com/

Last edited:
Back