clown fish problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keener1830

lawnmower
I have a true perc that has been in my tank for almost year. When we first got him he hosted with the feather duster and anthelia. A few months ago he moved to my hairy mushroom and started to make a home out of it. This means he tore up my shroom that is almost 8" wide and is now ripped in 2 places. I keep chasing him out but he keeps going back. I put a net over the shroom for 2 days and after I lifted it he still goes back but knows to run when ever I come near the tank. As of right now I have him in a large net. Will he host with a anemone if I buy one or do I need to get rid of him and start with a new fish with the anemone?

No, I don't think you need to get rid of him, and if you got a new clown there would be no guarantee that the the new one would host an anemone either.

Lol...there's nothing wrong with the clownfish it's instinct! Your best bet would be to try an anemone

I've had the same problem with one of mine. It decided a nice gonipora was a good home I tried everything I could but the coral wasn't having any part of it. By time I was going to move the coral the damage had been done and it didn't make. I'd say either remove the mushroom or the fish. I would say remove the mushroom instead of the fish unless your really attached to it. Getting an anemone isn't a sure fire fix either. I tired it also and it didn't work and a new fish isn't a guarantee either.

Put a mirror next to the annenome! i cleaned one of wifes compacts or a makup mirrors. wife and i had to do that same thing to stop damage. The clowns love there reflection! they will even follow the mirror if you need to move her to a far distance. Besta luck.

Put a mirror next to the annenome!

I don't think he has an anemone. I think he is asking if he should get one. At this point, I think I would try an anemone if your tank is ready. Make sure the anemone is large enough for the clown, at least 3 times larger.

Getting a RBA as long as you have the lights would be fine, just hand feed em, my clowns feed theres. I have one in my sps tank with 2 percs, along with Lots of SPS! keep some distance between them. The rba will move to where the lights the best, so keep a close eye. Ive had to move mine several times.

The tank is aged enough, the origional was running for over a year then I moved everything to the aquapod 24. As far as hard corals no, I have zoos and pulsing xenia, anthelia, shrooms and a feather duster. the lights are PC but work great. thanks for the reply from everyone I guess I will pick up a RBA soon.

The tank is aged enough, the origional was running for over a year then I moved everything to the aquapod 24. As far as hard corals no, I have zoos and pulsing xenia, anthelia, shrooms and a feather duster. the lights are PC but work great. thanks for the reply from everyone I guess I will pick up a RBA soon.

Sounds like a good plan, keep it fed weekly or more often. There are a couple RBTAs for sale here.

I just bought a small anenome. I have some frozen fish to feed him. Once a week is enough??

I feed two to three times a week, portions no bigger than the anemone's mouth. Too large of portions will cause the anemone to regurgitate hours later, ending up with nothing. If you just put the anemone into the tank, it may not take food for a few days. It may need time to adjust to its new environment.

If your tank can handle it, fed smaller quantities more frequently is superior to weekly. Weekly in a lower lit tank is a minimum.
Guess Red just said that :>)

Last edited:
That makes sense, I tried to feed him a small piece of fish yesterday and my shrimp were all over it before the anenome could eat it!!:)

I feed two to three times a week, portions no bigger than the anemone's mouth. Too large of portions will cause the anemone to regurgitate hours later, ending up with nothing. If you just put the anemone into the tank, it may not take food for a few days. It may need time to adjust to its new environment.

You may want to try feeding the shrimp first. If that doesn't work, you may need to protect the anemone with an inverted strawberry basket until it is able to eat the food.

When I had mine I had to fight the shrimp back with a turkey baster in order to get the nem sufficient time to get food into it's mouth. The shrimp would try to pull the food out of the mouth.

Back