Clown Fry

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snafu38

Hi Ilham & All,

well to continue from my previous questions & replies, I dont have access to RO water etc & am still having great trouble getting ocean water. I do mix my water a 3-7 days in advance.

My adults (A. Ocellaris) are very keen breeders & usually have eggs laid within 2 or 3 days of having their pot returned.

I have been having trouble with the eggs having a quick death once I move the pot to a hatching tank, only with water from the adult tank taken 1 minute before I move the pot. Last time I noticed than within an hour (may have been quicker) most of the eggs had changed to a creamish colour, except for the ones around the edges. I am VERY careful not to let the eggs come out of the water & ensure nothing is on my hands.

I only move them on day 2 of the eyes turning silver, after the tank light goes off.

The eggs that do survive have about 10 hatch (slowly increasing in numbers), those that dont, the fry seem to have a strained look on their faces, as if the egg is too hard. Those that make it seem to weak to eat & die within 2 days.

I am at a loss as to what happens, now I am more experienced with them, I am having less luck than when I was a novice & only had them for 2 weeks (yes, they bred within 2 weeks of moving to a new home).

I would love any ideas, I have tried Meth Blue which seemed to make no difference. I do a daily 1 litre change (from a 20 litre tank) with new water & vacuum up as much waste as possible.

I feed those few that do survive a mix of things, I have tried liquid fry food for egg layers, powdered plankton tablets, boiled egg yolk, & BBS. None of this is in large enough quantities to foul the water.

They are kept at a steady 26C with an air stone slowly bubbling. They are covered up with a towel most of the day, with a small torch in one corner running almost 24hrs.

I have also read that by putting old lettuce leaves in a container of tank water, large colonies of infusoria will develop. I am wondering if this also works with salt water ??

Yet again, any theories will be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Stan
[email protected]

Back