clownfish pregnant?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sjw87

Hey,

Can someone tell me how they know when their clownfish is pregnant? I have a True Perc whos belly looks full and a black dot around the anal fin area. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Steven

ohh dood i wish i could help you but i really don't knwo :( you should try pming Elmo, he's the clown fish expert :) in case you are really really worried

When mine was breeding every other week, the mommy would get noticably plump. When she was pregnant, they would constantly be cleaning off an area to lay the eggs. Shortly before laying the eggs, I would be able to see a distinct organ from the females underside. I don't know anything scientific about it, but it was basically where the eggs would be deposited from.

That's all I can convey anyway.

Ovipositor. Yep. That's the organ. Ovipositor.
They don't get pregnant, the eggs are fertilized after they are laid. Gravid is the term for her voluptuosness.
The black spot has me intrigued...

afishyonados said:
Ovipositor. Yep. That's the organ. Ovipositor.
They don't get pregnant, the eggs are fertilized after they are laid. Gravid is the term for her voluptuosness.
The black spot has me intrigued...

Thanks for the lesson :) I actually knew they don't get "pregnant" but was in a hurry when I was typing and that is what came to my head ... :lol:

The reason I asked for a photo is it could be more serious. I will talk about it...later I guess.

This can be seen with Dang's (tamarindthai's) 2 GSM female clowns that died both with inflated abdomens with the ovipositor out.

- Ilham

Back