Clownfish Question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Weiser

I have two new False Percs In my 70 Gal reef tank they have been in my tank for about a week they are the only fish I have. One Clown will eat anything I put in the tank and is allways moving and trying to eat what ever it sees the other Ive never seen really eat it dosent look sick or skinny in any way but when just the Actinics are on or at night it just stays at the bottom back of the tank looking at its reflection in the glass. What are some sighns I should be looking for sickness my tank conditions are good. Could it be that it is not as active as the other clown or is it a warning sign? It also seems to breath alot faster than the other clown :?:

I been feeding a combonation of

Formula One Frozen with a little bit of garlic solution
Spectrum marine fish formula
Cylop-eeze

Last edited:
How does it behave when the lights are on? Does it only do the "bottom of the tank reflection" behavior when the actinics are on or does it act this way when the lights are on, too? Also, does the larger clown act too aggressively towards the smaller one? Did you see it eat at the store before you brought them home? When you feed the tank does it seem interested in the food?

I saw the one that eats everything eat at the store only the other I didnt see the larger one dosent pic on him and no the smaller one dosentv seem interested in food. but now I woke to see him in the bottom back olmost barley moving I feel when I come home from work he will be lost. If so woud I be able to Introduce another one shortly or will my existing clown reject him.

If you lose the smaller one, you most certainly can introduce a new clown. I would try and find one that is smaller in size compared to the other one. Let us know what happens...

I got home and the little fella is moving around more than this morning but is still breathing very hard and hiding also wont eat the larger clown really dosent leave the small one by itself for to long but it dosent bully it around at all it just looks woried for its friend. what would braetghing very hard be a sign of the larger clawn is not breathin no where near as fast as the smaller one.

I got an Ocellaris (false perc) last weekend with my foxface, he seems to never sleep but eats and energetic as ever. I guess time will tell, read up like Nikki posted and keep us posted.

i bought 2 baby O's about 3 weeks ago when i set up my 75g tank and i have noticed that it is normal for them to swim in a certain corner for most of the day. they now get more into the caves of my live rock but still bump their noses to their reflection in the glass. also at nite one will swim right under my powerhead and one will creep up behind my overflow box. although the heavy breathing i would watch out for, i have seen my clowns do everything from play tag to twitch like their having a seizure but mine have never looked to be ill in any way, Knock on wood. also one thing you must keep in mind is if their tank bred or not, mine were.

Back