ClownZ Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ugla

I had a mated pair of perc clowns for about 10 years and they had been in a reef tank for at least 3 years before i got them. The female died several years ago. Would it work to put another pair in the tank with the male? Would they co-exist? Tank is 125 gallons

I had a mated pair of perc clowns for about 10 years and they had been in a reef tank for at least 3 years before i got them. The female died several years ago. Would it work to put another pair in the tank with the male? Would they co-exist? Tank is 125 gallons

is your male small or is it fat and plumpy :)

it might work, it might not. There was a post of someone having >20 clowns in their tank. Do you want to breed them?

From what I understand, size is not an indication of sex. If you buy young (tank raised to determine age) unsexed clowns it would probably work. The current clown would be dominant and if not already, would turn female. One of the two unsexed would then turn male and the remaining fish would stay unsexed until you lost one of the pair. If I remember correctly there is a risk that the pair may not like the remaining fish and injure or kill it.
Why do you want to add two rather than one? Adding a single juvi should be fine.

I agree with NWDiver. Adding 1 would cause the dominant one to do a sex change. Just don't tell your kid that :)

You should have no problem with them in a 125 gal tank. Your single clown, will more than likely be female now and any you add may stay male or may be a pair if not dominated by and harrased by the older clown. I was told no way to really know unless you do it.

Back