Co2 Regulator Issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaTe R

I am having problems with my co2 regulator.

I changed out a empty tank a while back and hooked up the new one and ever since i have done that, I cant keep a constant bubble coming through the bubble counter.

I have tank valve wide open

I have regulator tightened all the way down max pressure, i did have it were it was adjusted to before when it worked just fine but read below why i did this

needle valve cracked and i am always adjusting this to get the bubbles to come back through (twice a day)

I makes me think the water pressure is defeating the co2 pressure and the water is winning, i open the needle valve slightly and bubbles come rushing out. pushing water out of the bubble counter tube

have you ever dropped it?

no, not that i can remember

and where do you regulate the water into the reactors flow before the reactor or after or both?

You totaly lost me! lol

if your talking as if my mj1200 feed pump is overpowering my co2 i dont think it is, at least it wasnt before. and this is the way GEO 624 cal reactors are designed i dint reinvent it.

i m sure its in the Regulator

reason I asked if you regilte the water coming in and out is easier to have the specific drips to what your goal is. and more contact time and less co2 waste. some regulator if not all need time to adjust to the new settings a new full co2 tank your regulator will need to be recalibrated to the bubbles but changing it and then seeing a rush I would say it is bad also. I would go to AIr Gas or similar store to get new needle valve if it is that model

When i notice the bubbles stop coming out i cant turn the needle valve a hair turn open and i get tons of bubbles coming out but even at that rate they eventually stop coming out.

i snapped some pics of what i have here for a regulator i don't know if it will help

DSC_0008-2.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Whatever you do, do NOT continue opening needle valve!!! Read up on my tank disaster, back in November!!! I had a similar issue and opened the needle valve, more, every couple of days. After about 2 weeks, the needle valve was wide open. THEN, whatever was plugging it, came un-plugged, emptying my Co2 tank in a matter of minutes. It crashed my entire tank. I lost 90% of my extensive SPS collection and I lost 9 fish!!

There is a fix for this. It's actually a common problem and I have no idea why the manufacturer can figure out a fix for it, but won't fix it while manufacturing it. I believe I posted some information on my "disaster" thread. If not, I'll find it again.....

I had a similar problem when my first tank ran out of CO2, saltwater was pushed back into the bubble counter chamber and was crystalized in the needle valve. I took apart the bubble counter and removed as much as I could and then backflushed with fresh water. It has been stable since. You might want to pull your bubble counter off and look inside the orafice for salt residue to see if you might have a similar problem.

I just noticed your bubble counter is remote from your needle valve. I would pull the tubing connected to your regulator and look inside for salt residue, if it is there clean it out and flush with fresh water.

Whatever you do, do NOT continue opening needle valve!!! Read up on my tank disaster, back in November!!!

I read all about your disaster when it happened, i didnt remember the part were you kept opening your needle valve and thats why the Co2 emptied in your tank but i can see it happening now. thanks for the reminder although i wish you didnt have that lesson to teach. sorry.

I have the rest of the day here to take this thing apart and mess with it i am going to try taking everything apart like sgwill122 said and clean everything.

I was talking to Dang last night and he reminded me to open the effluent tube up all the way and adjust the bubble then to adjust the drip back down to what i needed. i did that last night and i was still getting bubbles this morning. I do recall doing that the last time i set up the new bottle so maybe just skipping this step caused the problem altogether.

I see you have a PH controller there. Does your controller turn off the selenoid to stop the CO2 from passing to the reactor once the chamber reaches your high PH set point?

I see you have a PH controller there. Does your controller turn off the selenoid to stop the CO2 from passing to the reactor once the chamber reaches your high PH set point?

Yes it is a controller but thats not why the bubbles were stopping because the alarm light was flashing (solenoid open) at anything above 6.4ph and i was still getting no bubbles. I tried tapping on the solenoid, pulling the plug a few time to make sure it was still moving in there and it was clicking still.

I am going to replace this check valve and clean the regulator good today and i think it should work

i had that regulator and had constant problems. for a while it worked fine until water backed into it from a failed check valve. after water got into the unit it was a constant battle trying to get the right bubble count. its the milwaukee brand right? i tried cleaning it, soaking the valve but never cleared up the problem. ive since invested in a reef fanatic regulator that has a preset output so my ph controller opens and closes the valve. no more fussing with the needle valve.

Although my regulator I have now seems to be working fine. Im replaceing it with an Aquariumplant.com regulator sometime in the near future. From all the reviews I read it is the best out there. It has a built in micro processor that opens and close the CO2 valve so no needle valve to have to fine tune.

Usually when I have a regulator go out at work, it is a diaphram inside that needs to be replaced. Take it to the place where you get your cylinders filled/exchanged and talk to them.

Good quality (and expensive) regulators have a stainless steel diaphram, and those last a long time. Cheaper regulators have a diaphram made out of rubber or something, and they will go bad, or can be blown out.

This might be your issue. Even if you treat them well, the cheaper quality diaphrams sometimes need to be replaced. Your gas store should be able to help you.

Also, when you open the tank, you should open it all the way, then turn it a half turn back. I'm not sure why the tanks are made like this, but it is standard procedure when using gas cylinters.

Not sure if any of that really helps, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I looked at the reef fanatics and didnt see what you were talking about Apollo
this is the only one i am seeing looks like the one i have as far a function
http://www.reeffanatic.com/products/co2-regulator-and-supplies/

roscoe Although my regulator I have now seems to be working fine. Im replaceing it with an Aquariumplant.com regulator sometime in the near future. From all the reviews I read it is the best out there. It has a built in micro processor that opens and close the CO2 valve so no needle valve to have to fine tune.

Wow what a nice unit, havent herd of this one. I would be willing to be this will be the "norm" for people post RETURNOFSID storys. I can see your wanting to upgrade.

Usually when I have a regulator go out at work, it is a diaphram inside that needs to be replaced. Take it to the place where you get your cylinders filled/exchanged and talk to them.

What kind of regulator do you currently run for your calcium reactor?

My experience with regulators is from work. I'm in a biolab and we use a lot of different gasses with regulators, including several tanks of CO2. I personally only own a cheap CO2 regulator which I use on a 5 lbs tank for dispensing homebrew.

I do not as of yet have a calcium reactor set up, so the regulators I use might be a bit different. Not really sure. Most of what I've seen around at work seem pretty standard. A gauge for tank pressure (CO2 is at about 800 psi at RT) a gauge for the output pressure (variable, but I'd guess you set this at a pretty low psi if its constantly on) and a spinny knob/bar to set the output psi.

I really don't know much about calcium reactors though, so they could have some special adapter on them to feed the reactor...

rob

I personally only own a cheap CO2 regulator which I use on a 5 lbs tank for dispensing homebrew.

lol,,, every time i go in to the Gas place here the guys at the counter look at me and say "is that for your beer?"

I say "no, its for my calcium reactor" and i m sure you can all guess what the hillbilly guy (who has inhaled way too many welding fumes) face looks like when i say that. HUH????

Back