Cocoa Worm (Protula bispiralis)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

risin

I know this is a coral forum, but it's my favorite forum and this post got blown down the list in the general forum with no responses.

I have read about these worms and have seen them in a few LFSs and I want one. Does anyone know if they can live long term in captivity? I have 2 large hawaiin feathers, for about 8 months now, and they are doing very well. Will the Cocoa Worm thrive under the same conditions?

While 8 months with an animal in teh tank is not considered long term success, its a good start, and an indication that you're doing something right.

Cocoa worms are a type of filter feeder just like the feather duster, and as such should do fine if the dusters are doing fine. However, Cocoa worms have a major difference in that they have a hard calcium based shell, so they require calcium levels to be in line with NSW. If your calcium and DKH levels arent at that point, you will need to get them there.

Nick

Thanks for the info. I do have a small feather duster with a hard calcium shell that has been doing well, but I'll hold off on the coco worm for a bit.

the larger filter feeding worms are indeed very difficult to keep long term. I have most only seen them alive in captivity in tanks that were very large (hundreds of gallons) and/or had very heavy fishloads. I wold almost never recommend them for a garden reef aquarium. But iof you will specialize for it and set up a refugium on a system with a very heavy fishload and wait at least 6 months before getting the worm... you have a chance. Sand stirring the muddy sediments in the refugim will help keep the worm alive perhaps (bacteria food source)

the larger filter feeding worms are indeed very difficult to keep long term. I have most only seen them alive in captivity in tanks that were very large (hundreds of gallons) and/or had very heavy fishloads. I wold almost never recommend them for a garden reef aquarium. But iof you will specialize for it and set up a refugium on a system with a very heavy fishload and wait at least 6 months before getting the worm... you have a chance. Sand stirring the muddy sediments in the refugim will help keep the worm alive perhaps (bacteria food source)

I had one live in a 10nano for over 2 years. Was still alive when I sold the setup :(

I have mine in my 125 for over 12 months now and it's happy.
Funny thing is in just the last few months (and never before) it just grew about 1 1/2" of new tube all white and clean..
VERY FAST I was shocked.

Back