cold cathode lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Electrokate

Hi,
Anyone ever play with cold cathode lighting on tanks? I think I might buy some of the blue ones and see how they work for a FOWLR as an actinic source, or on a nano with some majano/tulip anemones and kenya trees as guinea pigs. They have really come down in price since being marketed for use inside computer cases. Google cold cathode or case mods to see what I mean. I have been waiting for these for a while to light my breeder tanks which have no photosynthetic needs but I do like to see my fish... our electric bill is killing us since I took up reefkeeping. I am pretty excited they have gotten so cheap and use so little power.
Kate

i have 2x12" blue cathode lights as the final light stage after an actinic t8 and halides.they are great as you can still see the tank but they dont light up the room
cheers
pasenah

Thanks! Have you tried the UV or UV ultra bulbs? I think I am going to get an assortment and play with a freshwater plant and marine nano for a while. Wish I had thought of this before buying the LED kit I still haven't installed... This looks easier.
Kate

Back