Collecting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

Today is a beautiful day for collecting. There are no tropical fish yet this time of the year in NY but I go for grass shrimp, worms, snails and most of all amphipods. Those things are all over the place, especially on my anchor line. When I pull the anchor, they jump all over the boat.
I still have a breeding population in my tank from years past but I like to refresh the supply every year. Of course I also collect bacteria from the mud but I think that is just me who does that.
I don't usually dress as nice as this unless I am looking for shrimp with "class"

TidePool.gif

This is where I usually gollect shrimp, amphipods, tiny anemones, fiddler crabs and blue claw crabs (for dinner)

boat013.jpg

boat014.jpg

boat009.jpg

Perfect fiddler crab habitat.

boat011.jpg

My wife waiting by the boat. (she loves me)
boat003.jpg

And of course friends stop by to help us finish off all the alcohol we have on board.
Somebody has to do it.

boat022.jpg

That's a nice boat Paul!

where are you on the Island there? Looks like south shore Hamptons maybe? Also that sky in the last picture looks pretty mean :)

Thanks for sharing buddy!

Thats Port Washington, about 65 miles from the Hamptons. That picture was yesterday and it was a beautiful day. I don't know where that cloud came from but it was the best day of the year.

This is the Hamptons
Montauk009.jpg

This is Riverhead on the opposite shore from the Hamptons
IMG_0584.jpg

And more Hamptons.
IMG_0225.jpg

As you can see, I also like the Hamptons.

Last edited:
Wow, nice area...and nice boat! You need any repair & maint products or hard parts for that boat, you contact me.

Cool Pics!! Love the swim suit you are wearing in post 1 :p. I can tell you this...I may be partial to nice water because of where I live but, I can tell you this...You wouldn't catch me in any water that I can't see bottom atleast 20-30 feet down from the surface :eek: :lol:

I have a friend that lived here forever and never had any issues in the ocean. Goes to Tampa to the beach and steps on a stingray and ends up in the ER. 4ft of water and she couldn't see the bottom so she stepped where she shouldn't have without knowing.

Last edited:
I have been al over and under the Bahamas and although you are correct about water clarity. (we average a couple of feet here( everything that has ever been lost underwater here including ships, planes etc. Is still here. I find all sorts of things underwater because the visability is so bad no one sees anything. There is nothing to find in the tropics because hourds of people swim there and found everything already.
Just my opinion. Of course I would rather dive there by you

I have been al over and under the Bahamas and although you are correct about water clarity. (we average a couple of feet here( everything that has ever been lost underwater here including ships, planes etc. Is still here. I find all sorts of things underwater because the visability is so bad no one sees anything. There is nothing to find in the tropics because hourds of people swim there and found everything already.
Just my opinion. Of course I would rather dive there by you

Well, you need to make a trip down here so we can dive together. I think that would be fun!! Your knowledge and love for the ocean and my love for just being in the water, I think it would be a blast!!! You could probably point out some things to me that I probably never knew existed :p

Krish, for the 38 years that we have been married, every year we would go to a dive location either in the Caribbean, Bahamas or the South Pacific. We don't go diving as much as we used to and now sometimes go to Land based places like italy and other places in Europe. But I am not finished diving quite yet.
We are extreamly spoiled since we dove in Bora Bora and the rest of Tahiti

Frankie, pictures of NY I have.

I took these from my boat on my way to the Statue Of Liberty
P7170279.jpg

Girlsboatnight2010014.jpg

Some of the cool stuff you can collect besides amphipods,
Grass shrimp by the thousands
Project17.png

Rock crabs

Localtank008.jpg

Mud snails, by the millions

smalltank-1.jpg