Comerical Halides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

java

i have a couple 200W halides from work and was wondering if there is anyone using them with any success? i couldnt find any high K bulbs on the web but im gonna call the local bulb place and see what they can get. could it work to supplement with actinics? just kinda seeing if anyone has used them.
TIA

Most of your commercial grade Halides are going to have a temperature rating of around 3500 to 4200. Definately not in the range that is needed for coral stimulation or Normally the lowest you would want to go is 10k. And that is extremely yellow in color and does not bring out the vibrant colors of your specimans.

Light10and20Kb.jpg

that is a 10k and a 20k. Alot of people will argue that the 20k is too blue. I like it and that is all that I run. However they do have a 12k, 14, 15, some crazy megachrome(heard that it is really good). So try out a couple different. The other reason with using a commercial grade bay lighting is that the bulbs are huge and put off a lot of heat.

the bulbs are huge, and i guess i was asking if anyone is using them and has a source for bulbs. its a m136 socket. (about 1.5" mogul)

Back