Concern for tank care--from a relative newbie.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mahoney

So... I've had my tank a couple years now--kinda took it over from my husband after he got fed up with it. I love it! I love the process of things and seeing the cool ecosystem develop. So anyway.... since September 2012 it's been solely under my care. We've added things here and there and lost some things recently--chalk bass, yellow tang (as of today).

I'm just putting my feelers out there to see that I'm caring correctly, or should be doing things differently to improve the livelihood of the tank.

In February, our chalk bass got pop-eye. I medicated with abx that my LFS suggested, as well as people's responses on here, but, he went the way of the swirling drain eventually. And then a week, almost 2 weeks ago, my yellow tang stopped eating, started breathing really rapidly and held his mouth open constantly. I shoulda got on here right away to ask about it, but stalled and waited around to see what he would do and then in doing my research after about a week... it seemed like maybe he had a parasite. All other fish were fine, water parameters were within normal limits. Well, I tried fresh water dipping him. I didn't want to jump straight to using abx because it seems like when doing something drastic, it turns into a failure. But, he just kept getting worse and worse and he too today, went the way of the swirling drain as well. (tear! :( :( ) And then there was the loss of my anemone a couple weeks ago.... eaten by hermit crabs and fish. :/

So, since I've had some recent bad stints here, I'm just wanting to bounce ideas off others (even though I know everyone has different ways of managing their tanks) to make sure I'm not missing anything huge.

SETUP:
55 gal glass tank.
T5H0 lights (change every 6 months?)
Protein skimmer
4 big power heads (3 do 500, one does 750 gal/hr I think is how it's measured?)
Current fish--6-line wrasse, 2 mated clowns (black with the permanent orange faces), and a green goby
Others--several big snails, lotsa mini star fish (regular and a few brittle), 10ish hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp

3 large hammer corals
green-eyed zoas (a couple small patches... they've dwindled quite a bit over the years)
Spreading yellow polyps
Patch of xenia's
Patch of green-star polyps
1 feather duster
A dinky little piece of red kelp that's been gnawed on by hermit crabs
A few random sponges that came with live rock.

Regular care:

-Water change of 10 gal every month (including scraping the edges of the tank, sucking up/lightly skimming the top of the sand to get random debris and sucking off those damn red flat round worms off rocks that my wrasse doesn't seem to like---a previous one ate them up... this one however, does not have a taste for them)
-1-2x/week I empty the protein skimmer collection cup
-Daily or every other day--run the magnet scraper over the surfaces of the tank to clean
-Check salinity every couple weeks or so, and when I do water changes.
-Check water parameters really only if i notice something awry.
-Feeding--frozen omnivore food--a few 1/2-1 inch slivers twice a day (just enough so all fish get a few bites and none freely floating around), and a couple inches squared of seaweed every other day (it's usually gobbled up before a 24 hr period)
-Marine snow every couple of weeks (as directed on bottle)

When I've gotten any new fish, I've always fresh water dipped them for a few minutes. I never put any of the transport water in the tank.

Any new live rock, I've carefully inspected, but never boiled or dipped before tank placement.

I just want to limit losses like anyone else. I know that's part of the hobby. But I just want to see if theres anything I'm hugely missing.

I do not have a sump tank. I know that's probably a HUGE thing for some people, but there is honestly no room for it with my tank setup. If I had the placement for it, sure, maybe one day, but for now... it's not really an option.

So anyway... sorry, wrote a book there. But any ideas/thoughts would be helpful! Thanks all!
Amanda :)

Latest pic of the tank--sorry, not the best it's kinda dark and grainy since it's at night. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mahoney, a couple of observations...a 55 gallon tank is too small for any tang..they need plenty of room to swim as in the ocean they swim up to 25 miles a day..second I would read the following sticky re: QT....a freshwater dip isn't considered QT but is a step in the QT process esp for tangs and clowns. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/quarantine-process-27022/ typically you want to perform a 10-15% of water volume every two weeks..with a tang u might do more since they are a heavy waste producer. The description you gave of the tang gasping etc sounds to me like it was stressed and with stress can lead to parasites.

Sorry to hear about your loss'.

Its really hard to say what might have been the reason for it. The most likely reasons that I can think of, are water quality or a parasite was introduced to the tank.

I dont think a freshwater dip is necessary, but quarantine time prior to introducing fish to the display tank is a good habbit to get into. Also dip all coral and rock in a coral dip to remove unwanted pests. Fresh water rinse of rock can help too. Parasites will come in on coral and rock.

It could be the loss of the anemone caused a water condition problem and the reason for the loss of the tang. Without knowing the water parameters, its hard to say.

Just keep up on the water changes, check the parameters a little more often, and dip everything and qt fish. Some good habbits to get into.

Sounds like you're doing most everything well and agree that it most likely was a parasite outbreak that killed the Yellow Tang. Many fish especially Tangs can have/host parasites in a dormant stage that will manifest when conditions become to stressful. QT systems are a PITA at times but really are well worth it in the Big Picture. They can be as simple as a 10g with hang-on filter and 50w heater with some PVC pipe and/or plastic aquarium plants. IME/IMHO smaller Tangs like Yellows, Purple, Kole, Tommini etc.. would be fine in your setup for a handful of years if introduced when juveniles. They can become little tyrants though so need to be careful with more passive inhabitants.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, what do you mean by "little tyrants"? I have a few smaller guys (clowns, chromis, lubbocki wrasse, banggai cardinals, lawnmower blenny and clown goby). Am I going to have problems introducing a yellow tang, a bristletooth tang, and possibly one more, maybe a Kole or Sailfin? I'm not planning on any more small fish other than possibly some Bartlett's Anthias.

I would prob do more water changes. I have a 70 gallon and I change about 10-15 gallons every two weeks. Also make sure your using ro/di water when doing changes and mix the water for 24hrs before you do the change over. Maybe check the levels of your salt water before adding it to the tank then check them after you add to the tank so you can see what the bioload in on your tank. I would also look and see and try and make sure you dont have fish waste building up in piles anywhere. And are you running any sort of filter media? carbon, sock, gfo, bio balls?
I hope you can over come your issue..
Also you may want to post the specs of your readings of your tank here.. there are so many people here that can help you out.

salinity
alk.
cal.
mag
nitrate
nitrite
ammonia
phos.

and last I am a noob so take what i say with a big grain of salt.. just trying to help you out.

also make sure you let your frozen food melt in something like a tea strainer is what i use before feeding so you don't get the yucky water in your tank.

Matt, you should be fine with any/all mentioned fish in your system but would either introduce the Yellow last or very small to start with. Yellow Tangs are not nearly as aggressive or territorial as some but still for your list would become the most dominant. As for Mahoney a 55g is a rather small territory for any fish that tends to defend theirs so introduce a Tang/s, Dottybacks, Dwarf Angel, Hawkfish and Wrasses other than Flashers/Fairy's last or after any/all mild mannered livestock.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, so the Yellow is more aggressive than the tommini, kole, or sailfin? I'm also thinking of a spinefoot rabbitfish and possible a file fish. Before I know it, I'm going to have more fish than you! I better take it easy...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Sounds like I'll def. do more water changes--5 gal every other week instead of the 10 every month.

@Hunter1975--no filter media except for live rock. I have power heads pointed directly at rocks on the bases and I have a bunch of small rocks stuffed into the outtake flow chamber of my protein skimmer for extra filtration.

@TJL--didn't know you could dip corals before hand!! Great advice! I'll have to look for the stuff to dip them in at the LFS.

Quarantine tanks..... gah... I know they are a good idea.... but so much to invest in... altho the cost may outweigh the loss of fish/species in the long run. I'll have to think on it.. lots of other expenses at the moment that have more of a priority unfortunately.

I'll also look into more water testing kits. I kinda only check salinity, pH, KH, and nitrates now. Salinity currently at 1.022-1.023, KH at 7gtts, pH at 7.8, nitrates at 10--that was before I just did a water change yesterday.

As far as the tang topic--it seems (as I found before when I decided to put it in) that people are 50/50 on my tank size and the well being of the fish. He was medium sized... and I had figured when he got bigger, I'd have to trade him out for something else.

Does anyone have any ideas on another fish (or two?) that I could introduce? I'm looking for an active swimmer--not a hider, that is bright in color like the tang was. Easy care, non aggressive that could go with the rest of what I have. (2 clowns, 1 6-lined wrasse, 1 green clown goby<--talk about a hider! He lives in my huge tree-like hammer coral, and only comes out at feedings! Super cute tho!) I like chalk basses.... but they kinda blend in and aren't as showy.

Keep the advice coming! You guys are all great!

Amanda

I have a Lubbocki Wrasse that I really like. He's brightly colored and he's out all the time. Mild-mannered too. I'm thinking of some Bartlett Anthias. They're pretty, bright, and swim around a lot. I guess they need to be fed 3 times a day, though, because they're so active.

I have a green clown goby too. Don't see him much but he's very cool. I also just got a lawnmower blenny, I love him! Talk about personality!

I got some coral dip from OBD called Reef Pest Solutions, seems pretty good. Smells really strong, though!

Hey Amanda, I just noticed you're in Coeur d'Alene. Do you know about the reef club here? I just joined up, lots of cool people and tanks!

i personally do 15g every Sunday on my 90g and 5g every sat on my 20g. as for adding fish id add a school (3) of cardinals. bangai or pajama. super cool fish and very mellow and out all the time all schooled up. also think of adding an urchin every one needs a urchin. pick a tuxedo or black long spine. another piece of advise id offer is run salinity at 35 ppt or.026. and invest in an aquarium controller. reefkeeper or apex. its super nice monitors parameters. controls everything. set standbys for feed and maintenance. super big fail safe. example if my tank gets above 82 def it will shut down lighting. control's heaters by its own thermometer (major)!! control's lighting built in timers and wave makers and power heads just so much u can do with them. lets say your heater gets stuck on the reef keeper would shut it off right there it just of paid for it self and u don't have to get a new heater. has alarms if anything goes wrong u set the parameters. can control or check up on Ur tank via your comp or phone. i could go all day on this but I'm sure u wont hear one complaint about an aquarium controller on here. we spend so much money setting up thees tanks and maintaining them it doesn't make sense not installing one right? OK I've ranted and raved and gave my 2 cents just have fun and take things slow. my opinions and advise happy reefing

Those are cool--but not very colorful... :/

you got some great advice here so I just want to say plus one on the bangaii. sometimes its not all about color. Patterns and behavior of fish can be even more enjoyable than just onother pretty face. I have a mated pair of bangaii in one of my tanks and to watch the male with a mouthfull of fry takes me back to when I first got into this hobby raising african cichlids.

Back