Concerned

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

I have everything needed to start a non-drilled 72 gallon bow front. here is what I have.

good Protein skimmer (will upgrade)
2 Kolroria 4 and onee koloria 3
hang on back power filter just for buffering and mecahnical filter (free)
two heaters
80 lbs sand (40 dead 40 live)
50 lbs dead rock (will buy 30 more lbs live when I get the tank ready)
Test kit
Salt and all the buckets to mix (extra powerhead, heater etc)
Power compact lighting (and timer)
Necessary additives

This is what I have to start the tank, but I am worried that its not enough or not sufficient enough.

I will also be using tap water cause I am not sure how I can get RO/DI water (nor can I afford another filter/any way I can make one). But I do not want a huge algea bloom.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

First off, what is the final tank going to look like? Fish only? Mixed reef?
You need the RO/DI filter. It's an essential. No reason you shouldn't be able to at the very least snag a decent used one for ~100.00.
No RO/DI=algae problems

Additives: add NOTHING unless you have a test kit to test for it. If you must use them, add sparingly and slowly to avoid any unintended consequences. Water changes should keep up all your key parameters: calc, mag, alk, pH.

I agree about the RO/DI, but you could get filtered water from Safeway. Kind of a hassle but cheap to get you going. Don't ever use tap water, been there done that. :) It'll only cause you unnecessary issues.

+1 on no tap water. RO/DI filter setup seems expensive, but it's really worth it IMO. Mine has a DI bypass which I use for making drinking water too (helped me justify the cost of the setup knowing I could use it for the family and the aquarium).

Think about a TDS meter too, either handheld or inline on your RO/DI setup. TDS meter will let you know when your water quality is degrading so you can change out the filters. Also, it's kind of cool to measure your tap water to see just how much TDS is there.

Good luck,

Rob

Alright so if I was to invest in a RO/DI unit. Are there any that can just be temporarily attached cause I am not in a permanent residence and cannot be messing with the water supply. I am curious what kind to buy.

Yes, I believe any RO/DI system can be setup using a faucet or garden hose adapter for temporary connection.

I believe a common temporary setup used involves using the garden hose adapter on your washing machines water connection, and using the washing machine's drain outlet for the RO/DI's drain.

Otherwise, the more conventional "permanent" connection involves unscrewing the cold water line from the water supply under a sink and inserting a tee inline (pretty easy to remove this if necessary) and to use a saddle clamp on the sink's drain pipe for the drain (saddle clamp involves drilling a small hole in the drain pipe which is more permanent but I think could be removed and the hole plugged fairly easily).

There are quite a few online RO/DI vendors, such as spectrapure.com, purelyh2o.com, airwaterice.com, more I am sure... I would call a vendor and get their advice on what setup would be best for you.

HTH,

Rob

I can't say too much about that ebay unit except that it appears to me that everything besides the RO membrane is not full-sized. At least compared to what I've seen. So I'm not sure if you'd be limited on options when those cartridges need to be replaced.

Also, most all RO/DI systems I've seen have all filters besides the RO membrane mounted vertically, and only the RO membrane mounted horizontally. I believe (but not 100% sure) that if horizontally mounted the filters may encounter "channelling", where the water travels through only part of the filter and not all of the filter, thus creating uneven use of the filter. I'd advise you to double check this though as I'm not 100% sure but feel like that's what I've read/heard.

The price is definitely lower than what I've seen elsewhere too. Not sure if that means "you get what you pay for" or if it's really a good deal. In all honesty I'm a little skeptical of that ebay unit, but if price is a concern then maybe that's the way to go???

I know that none of you will like this question but what about just using the sechem PRIME? it says it removes the harmful things from freshwater.

i dont beleave in a "final tank" things change and they change for ever and ever... thats what makes the ocean so bad is ash.... but not haveing a RODI is just a waste of time... you will never be able to control a consent with your water... your nutrients willl always be in fluctuation.

check out thefilterguys.biz these guys are truely the best.. sales and service are everything 10grand from now.... this is more of a investment then a hobby... If your looking to reef for 6 months then fine ok... but 5 years from now you will need the right stuff the first time.. it will save you salt thur water changes.. it will save you money thur death.

change
Picture3000574.jpg

Picture3002441.jpg

Congrats on starting your tank!

I don't know if you are in the market to buy, but I have a used ro/di that I don't need anymore. I got it from Blue Sierra. I can sell it to you for $90 if you're in this Seattle area. You'll probably need to get new filters and the ro/di resin pretty soon though.

I also have some other stuff that I can sell you if you need a skimmer, I have a CPR and an Aqua C Remora in storage...

Let me know!

Burning2nd, your tank is beautiful! Makes me drool! :)

Attachments

• IMG00122-20100117-0939.jpg
    IMG00122-20100117-0939.jpg
    34.6 KB
Last edited:
are u going to be running a baffled sump? and the water is so important! albertsons runs there water through a huge filtering process with ultra violet light and is only $1.75 for 5 gallons just untill u get a ro/di unit, im sure the albertsons water wouldnt show up perfect on a tds meter but its better then tap water by far!!

The problem with using TAP water is all the additives in it that have to be removed through filtering process.

You could buy you RO/DI water at the store, or you can get it free at a certain LFS that I know of. He gives it away to all his customers. He's always full of good information and takes care of his repeat customers. Not to mention he gets in some of the best looking live rock available IMO. The down side to his LR is it's pricey and some of them have hitchhikers that may be unwanted.

Additives are unneeded as long as you don't overload your tank, you use good quality RO/DI water, and a good salt mix.

Mix your saltwater for at least 24 hours in a separate container to allow for everything in the salt mix to dissolve.

You will get algae blooms while your tank is cycling.

Back