Condylactis Anemone good-bad-ugly?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmcbride

I bought one of these (condylactis anemone) from "Petco" And I was told that they were harmless, easy to care for and a good starter anemone. Last night I got home and my jaw fish (that usually zips back into his hiding hole when he sees me), was out in the open where I could see him good. I was super excited about it until I realized that something was terribly wrong with him. He had rapid breathing at first and seemed to have a red hickey-burn type wound on his tail Also looked to be kinda slimy then he seemed to go in to a seizer which seemed to last 10-25 sec He had 3 of these that I witnessed. Then back to rapid breathing. I called "Petco" and they said the anemone wouldn't have cause him to be so ill, nor the sore. I my sis-inlaw started researching right away and found that these do have a sting and can sting both fish and corals. I ended up loosing my little guy :Cry: Has anyone else experienced this should I be getting rid of it. My tailspot blenny has been swimming around its flowing tentacles.......I love that fish so much it would devastate me if little Ricky Bobbie (tailspot) was killed!

Yes, Condylactis are quite capable of capturing/consuming smaller fish and causing serious damage to some larger fish and corals. The PETCO employee was dead wrong. A beautiful anemone but one that needs its own type of aquarium.

Cheers, Todd

All nems have Nematocysts (little poisonous harpoons) in their tentacles and thus can be dangerous to fish. Some are so toxic, that they are dangerous also to humans such as with many short tentacled carpet anemones. I suspect that the Petco minimum wage employee had read that Condys are safe and yes, to humans they are... to fish, not so much. There are only a few "safeish" anemones out there, including RBTAs. Be that as it may, if you have little fish in a little tank, stay clear of nems unless it is clownfish only. Sorry for the loss of your little friend.

Last edited:
I think this is my final straw with them......They also told me that it would be fine to put a pink spotted goby in with a starry blenny.......YEAH YOU KNOW IT!!!! NOT so good I was able to separate them and now they are both happy......not to mention when they smashed one of the fish I was buying to catch it and my stupidity I took it anyway.......And when you email a concern you get an email back saying blah blah blah sorry for your loss.....but there i no guarantee on saltwater.......on a lighter note I have found the little nem "killer" a new home!

All nems have Nematocysts (little poisonous harpoons) in their tentacles and thus can be dangerous to fish. Some are so toxic, that they are dangerous also to humans such as with many short tentacled carpet anemones. I suspect that the Petco minimum wage employee had read that Condys are safe and yes, to humans they are... to fish, not so much. There are only a few "safeish" anemones out there, including RBTAs. Be that as it may, if you have little fish in a little tank, stay clear of nems unless it is clownfish only. Sorry for the loss of your little friend.

ya gotta love petco "experts" don't you. I don't even step foot in any of the chain stores and still am very cautious of any advice I get...from anyone. I usually confirm information with multiple sources.

I remember years ago, a 17 year old petco employee was giving me the 3rd degree about my fish choices as if I needed permision to purchase them and had to pass the test. I told her I had over 1000 gallons of aquaria...and was breeding blue-ring octopus. should have seen her face. the 1000 gallons was close....don't know how the octopus lie flew out of my mouth. But I got the point accross.

try to support your local, reputable, fish stores! Imagine a day when all there is, is Petco!

I have gotten other things from other place and NEVER had an issue with them, One of those being Kevin's store in post falls.....Very happy with the knowledge level and Healthy livestock! NO MORE PETCO!

Back