Continuous LED Moonlights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Last weekend I bought a 48" blue LED moonlight at the PSAS meeting. I plugged it in and its been going a week strait. Am I affecting any spawning cycles for fish and coral? Does this stress the corals long term?

While I have not seen any ill effects yet, its only been one week.

I run my moon lights all the time. The reason I do this is I guess Im to lazy to go get another timer to so I can set them up on a timer. I have been doing it for quite a while and havnt seen anything bad from it.

nah you are fine because the moon LED are not giving off PAR to affect anything. Basically you are doing what night and day do just without turning them off an on.

After all no one can turn the moon off and we all know the sun is brighter than that moon.

nah you are fine because the moon LED are not giving off PAR to affect anything. Basically you are doing what night and day do just without turning them off an on.

After all no one can turn the moon off and we all know the sun is brighter than that moon.

With all due respect, this isn't accurate. The varying lunar phases play a role in coral spawning. The amount of moonlight that penetrates to the reef varies with the lunar phases and time of day/night. Running your moonlight LED's at the same intensity, for the same photoperiod, differs from what reefs actually experience. I don't know that anyone's published anything on how much complete darkness or extremely low light fish and corals need. I doubt this will harm anything but it should be mentioned that its not what reefs experience:)

Also, all moonlight LEDs are different and I'd like to know how much PAR IceCaps actually emit. Thats a lot of LED's!

Time for a Neptune or DA ReefKeeper with a Lunar Phase progam:idea: J/K:D

I use the reefkeeper and it changes the intensity every day. I would be concerned about the par you are putting out also. How many LED's are in that 48" strip? If there are only a couple lights that are low intensity who cares but if it looks like your running a 100 watts of antic lighting it could be a issue.

There is 75 individual LED's Maybe these need to go on a timer after all.

Back