Controllers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
I just got back from doing a little shopping, and now have a few questions. The conversation of controllers has come up. I'm kind of leaning towards the Reefkeeper 2 to run my aquarium. I really think that it could offer me a little more peace of mind about my tank temps and the other items. Not to mention the ability to constantly monitor the ph.

Have any of you had any experience with these? Looking for feedback on this issue.

DB

I just got back from doing a little shopping, and now have a few questions. The conversation of controllers has come up. I'm kind of leaning towards the Reefkeeper 2 to run my aquarium. I really think that it could offer me a little more peace of mind about my tank temps and the other items. Not to mention the ability to constantly monitor the ph.

Have any of you had any experience with these? Looking for feedback on this issue.

DB

I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket. Controller are nice at first glance, but if one fails you could end up with many failures all at once.

Don

Think what Don means they can be nice to have & add to your system but don't have it so your system relies on just that controller, have some fail safes built in, too much automation can lead to major problems but at the same time can make things easier, just make sure you can run your system without it if it fails.

I have the RK2 and I did have a problem this weekend. I forgot to tell you about it jason. I came home on fri and noticed that nothing was on what so ever. B/c of the way they are configured you can make things shut off at certain parameters. I came home and teh temp read over 126 F So lights skimmer everhything had shut off. I am really lucky I don't have a chiller yet else everything would be quite cold. I "fiddled" with the temp probe and got it working again but it happened twice now. I have only had it a couple of months so the probe is not shot yet and I have never kinked the wire. Something was loose in the tip I pinched it and it started to work again.

Took the plunge!!

I just purchased a RK2 to put on my 120. The directions are a bit vague, but it is a very nice unit. It is cool to look at the PH, Temp at any time. I got home tonight and my fans were on cooling the tank down. We'll see how well I programed it after one complete 24 hour cycle.

DB

I like the reefkeeper units also. Plus the best thing about them is they are located in Woodinville so if you need something quikly you can go pick it up.

Does the Reefkeeper 2 offer internet access so you can remotely see your readings. And are the heavy duty expansion box amps part of the 15 amp max or is it truely separate. I'd like to do business locally. You may also want to checkout the lighthouse from premium adquates. Boxes are not as nice, but include network connect to a computer.

Does the Reefkeeper 2 offer internet access so you can remotely see your readings. And are the heavy duty expansion box amps part of the 15 amp max or is it truely separate. I'd like to do business locally. You may also want to checkout the lighthouse from premium adquates. Boxes are not as nice, but include network connect to a computer.

I dont know about the internet access but the add on box works by pluging one cord into one of the outlets on the power switching unit and another cord into the wall. I have it turning on two lights at the same time.

Back