Copperband Butterfly?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefGeeker

I am thinking of adding a copperband butterfly fish to my 90g but wanted to get some input first. I really like the coloration of the fish but I do not want to get it if its not suitable for my tank. First off is the tank large enough? I've read that that may eat vermatid snails is this true? Do they eat hydriods too? Mostly LPS and softies in the tank, and the fish are as follows Yellow Tang 4", Orange Stripped Rainbow Wrasse 4", Six line Wrasse 2", Firefish 3", Green Mandarin 3", True Percula clown 3", Pajama Cardinalfish 3", Coral Banded Shrimp, Red stripe Cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, various snails and a few hermits. Let me know what you think? :confused:

I was wondering if I am pushing the stocking limits, I have a 30g sump that runs at about 20g 200 micron sock, Chemi pure, 2 skimmers Aqua c urchin and Aqua C remora Pro lol i know I need to get one good one but I think they're doing the job for now, and cheato fuge. Am I at capacity as far as Bio load? I dont want to push it.

Thanks for the input, note to self no more fish got it. Pandora how long have you had your CBB and have you ever seen it eat vermatid snails?

i had a copperband that would eat clams. not really heard of anyone else having this happen, but mine LOVED 'em. never saw him eat snails.

Sorry im late here, been kinda crazy around me! I dont have a copperband. I cant remember the name. Its yellow with a silvery forehead and black spot. I havent seen it eat snails, but he has picked at the empty shells. I keep a few empties in the tank for the hermits.

Hi, i briefly had a copperband in my 100g, very cool fish. The are very picky eaters. Generally only eating live food. Mine loved frozen clams but would not touch frozen mysis/brine. I got rid of him because i did not want to bother raising live brine and feeding clams daily was messy (but fun). Its a fish with a lot of personality, I had a couple aptasia in my tank and he immediately ate them and all my tube worms. He did not bother any of my corals (LPS/SPS), we may go for any clams and feather dusters that you have in your tank. He's a big fish, i think you could make it work, but heavy load with the fish you already have.

I am thinking of adding a copperband butterfly fish to my 90g but wanted to get some input first. I really like the coloration of the fish but I do not want to get it if its not suitable for my tank. First off is the tank large enough? I've read that that may eat vermatid snails is this true? Do they eat hydriods too? Mostly LPS and softies in the tank, and the fish are as follows Yellow Tang 4", Orange Stripped Rainbow Wrasse 4", Six line Wrasse 2", Firefish 3", Green Mandarin 3", True Percula clown 3", Pajama Cardinalfish 3", Coral Banded Shrimp, Red stripe Cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, various snails and a few hermits. Let me know what you think? :confused:

I was going to get one for aptasia and I asked if I could see it eat at the LFS and it wouldn't eat anything they put in. They can be really picky eatters and I have heard that some can pick at corals and clams. They are hit and miss kinda fish. I really wanted one because they look really cool and the aptasia ,but didn't want to see it die in my tank not eatting. With any fish like that that has a specialized diet it important to see them eat what you can give them and keep them healthy befor buying. Just like cleaner wrasses.......they are sold all the time in LFS stores and will not eat prepared foods. There are false cleaner wrasses that will but the real ones have to have mass parasite to eat. JMO.

Last edited:
Back