Coral bleaching!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

So as some of you know I changed over to a larger tank with a sump system. I used the water from my 55 along with all of the sand/rock and the same lighting. I recently added in my corals and am now having some issues with the frogspawn and 2 mushrooms bleaching out. All of the polyps, zoas, acans, and favia look fine. all water parameters test ok. The only thing I can think of is I had some issues with my heater for 2-3 days and the water temp stayed at 82, and I'm HOPING!!!!! its not the glue from the PVC.

ammonia - 0
nitrate -0
nitrate -0
ph 8.2
alk - 9
calcium - 450pp
Sg - 1.024
temp - 78

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

its usually temp swings, salt swings, or drastic light change that cause coral bleaching or browning imoe....

if those are ur test results ur good just focus on topping off ur tank or watching the temp bro.

I know when my heater got bumped and got up to 83 my fungia started to bleach out so maybe the temp swing. It took about a week for it to recover fully.

Knock on wood about the PVC and Glue. But its something we all use so I really don't think it would be that. Was the glue fully dry before you added the water?

I hope it is the temp, I pulled it out and put it in my 40b just in case though. Yeah the glue had 2 days to dry.

1guy definitely nailed it. Lighting and temp are your two biggest causes of bleaching. I've fired up many systems within a half hour of using PVC glue and have even had drops fall directly into tanks without any problems.

Back