Coral ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Apprentice

Hey Kevin I am hoping you can ID this Guy a Very good Friend of mine we will call him MR HaHn broke a little frag of him over a year ago :D

It is starting to encrust at the base and it could have came from Spokane :confused:

It Kind of reminds me of a Montipora Digitada.. I just don't know ???

I hope the shot is good enough Been trying to get a good one all day.

Hi Jeff,
It is hard to tell from the picture but M. digitata is a good guess. It is quite brittle and likes to encrust at the base before branching out. Under ideal conditions it will grow 1.25"/month so give it plenty of room.

Regards,
Kevin

A big thanks

;) Thanks Kevin I sure will. I do have some Purple tipped Montipora Digitada that exceeds that growth rate in this Tank However this guy has only grown 1.25" in about a year?

I have to post this for JRBear5658 my favorite
Helfrichi Firefish he had sent me a pm for some shots

I hope you like them JR I am not the camera expert that my wife is But I think you will like the eye candy...Jeff

The first one is a crappy try a Purple tri color
Second one i belive is green Poclopora
third one is a 4" frag i got from Portland I was told its a Stylo Pistillata Neon Green
I belive every one has a good idea on the little guy in picture 4;)
And the last picture is a guy that i got the size of golf ball its about softball sized after a Year I am sure it is a Seriatopora Hystrix. Pink Birdsnest

Last edited:
looks like a porities to me, but its hard to tell from a pic, and your second post/second pic is an acro, not a poccilopora.. a millie if I had to guess

Hi Jeff,
It could be a Porites. If it came from here it would be green with yellow new growth tips. Also Porites has an unusual smell to it. It can also build up a waxy coat over it that it sheds after a few days. Another feature is that it is a very hard coral compared to M. digitata or even other Montipora corals.

The green coral with the long polyps in the second picture looks to be a Acropora millepora. I have sold many frags of it and forms a table type growth as it matures. It is one of the fastest growing corals I know of.

The purple ones look like they might be Acropora valida to me.

Regards,
Kevin

The third picture looks like a Montipora not a Stylophora. S. pistillata usually has very blunt thick branches and extreme polyp extention that makes it look like a fuzzy ball. But it could be a stylophora. Corals can really change in the home aquarium to be impossible to ID even when you have a skeleton to look at.

The fourth picture looks like A. valida and the last one is S. hystrix.

Regards,
Kevin

very nice corals if you decide to do some frags im only 20 min away QUOTE=The Apprentice;174434];) Thanks Kevin I sure will. I do have some Purple tipped Montipora Digitada that exceeds that growth rate in this Tank However this guy has only grown 1.25" in about a year?

I have to post this for JRBear5658 my favorite
Helfrichi Firefish he had sent me a pm for some shots

I hope you like them JR I am not the camera expert that my wife is But I think you will like the eye candy...Jeff

The first one is a crappy try a Purple tri color
Second one i belive is green Poclopora
third one is a 4" frag i got from Portland I was told its a Stylo Pistillata Neon Green
I belive every one has a good idea on the little guy in picture 4;)
And the last picture is a guy that i got the size of golf ball its about softball sized after a Year I am sure it is a Seriatopora Hystrix. Pink Birdsnest[/QUOTE]

Back