Coral ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bc_slc

So I know that noone can tell me exactly what subspecies of coral this is, but I am having a hard time getting it into even a general category (acro, monti etc). I got this from Kim Lane when he was breaking his tank down. It is doing well. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it has a pale pink/tan base, with pink tipped stalks. Both the base and the stalks are covered in neon-green polyps.

Any advices would be appreciated.

DSCN0703.jpg

okay so I can't help you out on the identification but I just wanted to say, you are one lucky reefer!!!! Absolutely fabulous looking coral.

Thanks very much Ohgee. If you like the pic, you should see it in person. It is stunning. I have a couple of corals that I am unsure on their ID, but I guess because I like this one so much, I am more invested in finding out what type it is.

Anyone out there?

Mat

thx guys. After looking a bit, I think I agree. The tip coloration is diff from some of the sites I saw, but the growth form is similar. How would you describe the kind of descrete "globs" of growth which then send up stalks? Expand my vocabulary.

identifying by pics to species is impossible... do avoid it always. At most... say it is "nano-like" or "formosa-like", etc

Color and cultured growth forms are no means at all to ID most corals, especially Acroproids.

Anthony Calfo said:
identifying by pics to species is impossible... do avoid it always. At most... say it is "nano-like" or "formosa-like", etc

Color and cultured growth forms are no means at all to ID most corals, especially Acroproids.

It is 'nana-like'. :) Sometimes i forget that the only way to tell is to take a dead skeleton and look under it through the microscope.

- Elmo

no worries... :)

its just good to mention so less folks don't start a bad habit early ;)

Especially in the case of aquarium grown Acropora... color and morphology mean next to nothing.

I totally agree Anthony. When I originally posted this, I had that thought in the back of my mind and is partly why I asked for a general category. I wanted to get in the "nana-like" ballpark so that I could customize the needs of the coral a bit more.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Mat

I wouldn't decide what the needs of a coral are by an ID. find out from the person it came from if it is a frag or aclimate it to your lights and test the flow if it is wild. Your general rules apply though, tables more flow and so on. An ID from us is as good as what the general characteristics of the coral are but sooooo many corals are ID'd improperly. My favorite is the it looks like this coral in my tank so it must be the same one logic.

Back