coral life aqua timer digital

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pewpewlazerbeam

fish in cycler
Ok so is this thing just a giant piece of trash or what?

originally i programmed it wrong but then i realised what i did and fixed it. it worked for a few weeks. Then it started resetting itself all the damn time. Its basically worthless now, because it randomly reset its timer.
Other experiences with this people?

Is there a cost effective alternative for a timer?

yeah but those things sit on the shelfs for who knows how long. i had the same thing happen to me changed out the battery never happened again

yeah but those things sit on the shelfs for who knows how long. i had the same thing happen to me changed out the battery never happened again

On the real though those timers are crap anyways, form my experience with them and from what I have read, they are crap. Better to just save up 100 dollars and get a controller. That way you have more functionability (is that a word), and contollability (almost certain that is a word, damn California educational system.)

Thatguy, before i go buying a battery for something im fairly certain is worthless let me know if yours was doing this.

It does randomly reset but also. EVERY time i switch through the on phase it makes a sound and resets. I can then click it on and leave it on. But if i set the timer, then cycle to auto passing through the ON phase it resets. this doesnt seem battery related

Mine would loose the settings and sometimes it would do what you are talking about. If you feel that you don't like that timer then go buy a controller they are all over reefcentral. I just bought another aqua jr for my turtles so I can toss that timer in the trash

I like the timer when it works, but last night it was on when i went out and off prematurely when i came home. Thats gotta stress out the fish/corals right?
I went over to reef central and looked for controllers, this is extreme overkill. I have a 29 gal biocube i dont need remote monitoring of all this stuff. I dont understand how these timers can be such complete pieces of crap and still be on the market.

How is there not a reasonable alternative?

There is. Home depot sells the single timers that are complete workhorses. I had them on my reef for a little over 3 years with no issues at all. You set them and forget them. They work like a champ. the only downside is you have to have the outlets for them to plug into. But seriously safer then the coralife, (huge fire issues) and really reliable. Check them out. I think they cost around 7 or 8 dollars

I'll have to stop by the depot after work and check it out. I assume you could plug them into a power strip temselves as long as the overall load wasnt overloading the strip?

Went to home depot today bought a few things. They have a black powerstrip that has a digital reader. It looks eerily similar to the coralife pos but a different color. But unlike the coral life it had good reviews. ( wish id looked at some coral life reviews before buying)

Also I bought a mechanical dial one for the moon cycle since the new powerstrip only has on and off, not night and day. Will keep you guys posted with results

I'm sorry but I found revews (pretty much every review) with the same problem as I'm having that date back 3 flippong years. The fact that they're still selling a product that has knowingly just not worked for 3 + years pisses me off. Fix your s*&t or take it off the market.

I manage a family business that sells building materials. If we had consistant problems of the same type that rendered one of our products flat out useless id have lawsuits if I kept selling it without fixing the problem.

There are countless threads on this timer elsewhere, as well as review on many sites. How I failed to notice a constant 1 star rating is embarrasing. I tend to think I'm a smarter e consumer than that

Back