coral/live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wakinekona

just one more question...

I have a few pieces of live rock and coral.... I have little things growing on them... they are dark brown/maroonish like in color. They are about 1/4 of an inch or alittle smaller. They are growing in groups of 3's and 5's. They start off with a small stalk and then into a round disk head with little swaying hairs on them... sort of like palm trees... any idea??

also, my white/cream coral is growing so red algae. It started off with just a little on the top and then soon spread out onto my course sand substrate. I know that's bad! How do I get rid of it safely... and in a way that it wont ever return?

I have a few pieces of live rock and coral.... I have little things growing on them... they are dark brown/maroonish like in color. They are about 1/4 of an inch or alittle smaller. They are growing in groups of 3's and 5's. They start off with a small stalk and then into a round disk head with little swaying hairs on them... sort of like palm trees... any idea??

They sounds like they could be tube worms. Do they look anything like this? http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19644&d=1170381732 If so, no worries...They are filter feeders and they help keep the water clean:)

also, my white/cream coral is growing so red algae. It started off with just a little on the top and then soon spread out onto my course sand substrate. I know that's bad! How do I get rid of it safely... and in a way that it wont ever return?

Sounds like cyno algae...How long has the tank been set up and also, what are your water parameters? Cyno will grow in a tank when there are excess nutrients (phosphates, nitrates etc) which can come from over feeding, using wet/dry's, not using ro/di water and so forth. Water changes using ro/di water will help dilute the excess nutrient issue, but not solve it so you will have to address the issue. Also, increasing flow to these areas will help as well:)

Back