Coral of the Week ~ Stylophora ~

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Anthony Calfo

RFCOW2 Stylophora pistillata

In this installment of Coral of the Week, we look at an old time favorite "sps" coral that is commonly kept but, in my opinion, widely misunderstood. Stylophora pistillata (AKA Pink Cats Paw, Birdsnest, etc.) has been imported live for something in the neighborhood of 20 years. Indeed, it was one of the first "sps" corals collected for its color (often pink) and ease of collection (plentiful in some shallows). Moreover, it has been collected many decades longer for the curio industry for its handsome morphology and especially dense corallum ("skeleton"). It is this later attribute that I'd like to speak to first regarding the care and culture of this Poccilloporid in captivity.

Anyone who has tried to frag Stylophora likely got a prompt appreciation for how very tough the "skeleton" of this scleractinian is; it is staggeringly dense and strong! In some cases, it cannot easily be broken by hand or with hand tools, but rather requires the use of a saw like a Dremel rotary tool to cut off a branch. To keen aquarists, this tells us a lot. Remember: form follows function! Giraffes have long necks to graze branches from high treetops… anteaters have long tongues to probe for their prey in the recesses of a mound… and a beautiful pink stony coral with a very sturdy skeleton living in very shallow water is dense because of (drumroll please…): wave action! Very strong wave action. Form follows function… never forget this and it will serve you well as you intuitively try to discover the needs of various corals. The corallum of dense Stylophora is formed so to endure dynamic water flow. Arguably, it needs it for optimal growth, and aquarists that obey this usually enjoy fine rates of growth in their specimens while many of the rest of us sit back wondering why our specimens have not flourished like other stonies in our displays.

FWIW, for all the attention paid to lighting issues, I personally would peg it third behind water flow and nutrients/feeding in terms of influence on the growth of corals in captivity for a majority of the species we keep. It (lighting) really is an overblown issue IMO when corals in the wild and aquaria alike have proven to be HIGHLY adaptable to a wide range of light, given a gradual period of acclimation. But feeding is a hard thing to finesse, change or skimp on. And water flow is a staggeringly underestimated parameter of life for these sessile invertebrates that depend on such flow to bring food to them and carry waste products away. It is this lack of flow in shipping vessels/bags in large part that lead to the demise of many collected corals. The extended transit allows the anoxic microlayer of water surrounding corals to "thicken" along with mucus/metabolites and an increasing count of bacteria, which may become pathogenic in large enough numbers (hence the rank necrosis on arrival of many corals). Have no doubt, water flow is Life for our cnidarian friends.

And simply throwing a bunch of powerheads or some teed water pump outlets at the seascape in your tank is not enough. Like feeding, where prey and particle size is crucial by species within a sometimes narrow range, water flow too needs to be finessed. In a nutshell though, the safe and easy route is to provide random turbulent flow: a moderate to very strong, mixing and eddying of converging effluents. Sparing the inconvenience or expense of producing surge or wave type flow (which is ideal for many corals, but tough on skimmer performance and system design and ultimately not critical to have), random turbulent water flow is practical and effective for most reef aquaria. See my very biased opinion against/on powerheads with a cheap alternative solution in an article called "Goodbye Powerheads…" posted over at wetwebmedia.com [RF mods… please feel welcome to copy and post this anywhere here on RF if you like]. It basically describes building a cheap closed loop manifold out of PVC pipe driven by a single pump (perhaps your sump return pump) and with nozzles that can be finely tuned and tweaked as the seascape in your tank changes over time (corals grow, get fragged, are removed, rockscapes change, etc.).

Getting back to Stylophora… I will say that water flow is a principal influence on their growth in captivity (versus say… Sarcophyton that gets by with variable water flow and needs very little if any food, but will simply grow faster under warm MH daylights than under blue slanted fluorescents). I believe that a majority of aquarists simply do not apply enough water flow to their corals. Furthermore, many of the difficulties reported with tissue recession in the depths of magnificent branching "birdsnest" colonies are not due to lighting, as most folks assume, but rather (broken record here…) inadequate water flow in the recesses of the colony.

You will find some aquarists that succeed with these hardy and very adaptable corals (they do occur over a very wide range geographically and through niches on a given reef) with methods in contrast to what I have mentioned above and what the masses may experience, of course. In the three dimensional environment of our aquaria, there are some very complex dynamics and relationships occurring. But still, these are the exceptions and not the rule and fall under the category of one of my fav sayings, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes."

Sticking with the fundamentals, Stylophora pistillata naturally occurs (primarily) in shallow water environments with strong water flow. You can experiment (carefully – especially with new imports requiring dim light at first) with high light placement of this coral in your tank, but know that it is not necessary. Rather than pale, watery pink (still quite pretty) specimens getting torched by enough MH lamps over your display to melt the acrylic braces, consider more moderate lighting (7 – 10k K color and around 5 watts per gallon) for arguably a more stable specimen with a still likely handsome (perhaps darker) pink color. I proffer the specific mention of colors under light here with full knowledge that you will find specimens in a range of color including tan/brown/crème/purple and green. And that color is not only influenced by lighting alone. It's just that pink is the most popular color and these generalizations will contribute usefully for most keepers… at least getting you in the right direction to get/keep the pink color you may want

And finally, an interesting note about reproductive strategies. For reef aquarists interested in propagating this species and seeking better results or some kind of challenge beyond simple fragmentation, do remember what family this coral is in and the track record of its kin. Specifically I'm referring to Poccillopora damicornis. The aforementioned, as many of you know, is a remarkably hardy and fast growing Poccilloporid that very readily planulates asexually (as early as 4 months old from settled planulae itself!). There is good reason to believe that close kin like Seriatopora and our topic today of Stylophora can certainly do the same. And considering how very slow Stylophora is to frag and reproduce (for profit/trade) for most people, the potential for acts of planulation producing hundreds or even thousands of settled divisions in our aquaria is very appealing! So what's the trick? Well… I cannot say definitively, but I have some very strong suspicions. Beyond the obvious need for good water quality (avoiding overcrowding and competition as with dreadfully overstocked garden reef aquaria) and nutrition, I suggest that you grow out your colony undisturbed (no fragging!) for at least two years for it to reach a critical mass. Other corals have demonstrated this need to reach a critical mass for sexual maturity and have proven to produce more divisions of coral than any number of slow, albeit, successful fragmentation methods over the same period of time. I point to the photosynthetic Neptheids as a prime example. Pinching off branches is slow but successful… yet done too aggressively, the parent/donor is slow to regrow and yield new branches. Yet if you wait some months or a couple of years without cutting or pinching it, they readily drop branchlets and even planulate asexually with the planulae maturing in plain view in fascinating brood pouches right upon the stalk of the coral!

Well… that about sums up my rant on the COW. Please share your input and pictures for the archives and the benefit of all.

with kind regards,

Anthony :)

Wow, SO much information. I have a green stylophora and it is my favorite coral. Maybe because it was my first :) This thread provided me with a lot of info about my coral. It has grown extremely well in my tank and the polyps couldn't extend anymore with out detaching :) I have mine placed at the top of my tank where it can get the greatest ammount of water flow. It was captive bred and the LFS I purchased it from had it in a low flow tank with pretty low VHO lighting. It took awhile to acclimate it to higher flow and brighter lighting, but the growth rate has increased incredibly since the acclimation. Great coral to house. IMO

Last edited:
Great article Anthony, thanks for sharing. I'll be keeping this in mind with my upcomoning tank upgrade as I have been looking into getting one of these specimens to add to my collection.

Eliyah

FWIW, for all the attention paid to lighting issues, I personally would peg it third behind water flow and nutrients/feeding in terms of influence on the growth of corals in captivity for a majority of the species we keep. It (lighting) really is an overblown issue IMO when corals in the wild and aquaria alike have proven to be HIGHLY adaptable to a wide range of light, given a gradual period of acclimation. But feeding is a hard thing to finesse, change or skimp on. And water flow is a staggeringly underestimated parameter of life for these sessile invertebrates that depend on such flow to bring food to them and carry waste products away.

Anthony - You put an emphasis on feeding importance, and I need a little clarification - when talking about Stylophora, are you saying that feeding should come by means of the water column (i.e. water flow putting things like fish waste and detritus into the water column)? You indicated that prey and particle size is crucial by species, so in your opinion with regards to this coral, is the best outside source of feeding (not the energy from zoox) these waste products that are already in the tank, or introduction of another source?

very good questions, Nikki! Although some popular sps corals can be observed to feed organismally in our aquariums (particularly some of the Poccilloporids... like the aforementioned Poccillopora damicornis which thrives even better with feedings of prey as large as brine shrimp nauplii!), the overwhelming majority of so-called sps corals get little or practically no benefit from target feeding. I personally feel that the line of bottled supplements that we've seen to date (and even the slurries that aquarists make at home) are woefully inferior in this category. Particle size or shape is off... they clump and clot (microscopically) in a relatively short time, etc. And mind you... its not for lack of trying on the mfgs part. Its the yeoman's chore they are pulling when trying to make a universal food for the many species of coral we keep with many different feeding preferences (particle size and shape again).

So my opinion about feeding Stylophora like many other sps corals is as you have suggested: from the water column vis a vis incidental matter like dissolved organics, feces from a hearty fish load, and - for me - the presence of well-maintained deep sand beds and mature, fishless/coral-less refugiums. The proof is in the pudding with a test of time. Whatever your strategy, if you enjoy consistent growth and good vigor/color for a matter of years - not just months - then you are doing something right :)

Anthony Calfo said:
So my opinion about feeding Stylophora like many other sps corals is as you have suggested: from the water column vis a vis incidental matter like dissolved organics, feces from a hearty fish load, and - for me - the presence of well-maintained deep sand beds and mature, fishless/coral-less refugiums. The proof is in the pudding with a test of time. Whatever your strategy, if you enjoy consistent growth and good vigor/color for a matter of years - not just months - then you are doing something right :)

Anthony I have to clarify this please, sorry. So you are indeed advocating a refugium or dsb to feed these corals? Do you have a particular suggest as to what should be in the refugium? Sea grasses? caulerpas? just rock for the pods to multiply in? or a large mixture of various things?
Thanks
Mac

nope... not as a principal means of feeding/nutrition. Stylophora can mostly be sustained by zooxanthellate symbiosis. "Mostly" :D There are perhaps more than a few ways for us to supply the remaining (single digit percent) of their daily needs not produced/provided by photosynthesis.

For me... I dont keep as heavy of a fish load in my tanks as I recommend. Subsequently, I depend heavier on my DSB, refugium and the (heavy) feedings of my invertebrates collectively with hope (I have not measured this, of course... its beyond my skills/equipment) that I am supplying enough feeding opportunities incidentally in the process. More bacteria, more larvae from infauna (in my sand/rocks, etc), more mucus/"floc", etc.

In plain language - a regugium and/or deep sand bed is a small but useful and important support, but not the principal means of feeding Stylophora here.

I have seen and can imagine a number of different ways in which aquarists succeed with the keeping and growing of this beautiful coral:

- bare-bottomed tanks with lots of rock and a heavy fish and/or invert load (feeding them)

- DSB with light fish load but heavy water flow and (likely) strong feeding of other inverts (LPS, seastars, shrimp, etc)

- either or neither of the above scenarios, but with a large refugium that has good (over)flow... none of this piddly 10X per hour turnover or less :p Real water flow... 20X+ ;)

You can imagine, and many of you have seen yourselves, reef aquaria with healthy thriving sps corals (years of growth) with little or no target feeding, but a significant source of incidental nutrition (dissolved or particulate) on further consideration. Achieve/finesse that as you see fit/best. There certainly is no one "best" way to keep sps corals... short of a biotope display :D (uh-oh... no time for the garden reef aquarium rant... I gots to get to work and pay some bills <G>)

very interesting thread so far... cool :)

Anthony

Anthony,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for pointing a couple of things in this thread out regarding the nutrient needs of SPS (yeah, I know it's wrong but it's an old habit). At last Saturdays frag swap of my local reefing club (http://www.seasl.org/ ), I spent 10 minutes discussing to someone why their new SPS frag shouldn't be fed anything but good lighting, good flow, and the multi-vitamin nature of fish poo and bacteria. 10 minutes later, I heard them ask someone which LFS had the cheapest DT's Phytoplankton to feed their new SPS frag. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

More bacteria, more larvae from infauna (in my sand/rocks, etc), more mucus/"floc", etc.
I hadn't really considered ever running a light bioload as a limiter. It doesn't seem to me that Carbon is in short supply in most peoples tanks because their skimmers are usually undersized, they likely have snails spawning, there's fish poos, bacteria, etc. I would like to discuss this further.

When you pointed out the mucus/floc you reminded me of an article I read that stated that the mucus from corals can land on other corals and feed them. However, most of this is even unnecessary IMO. The zoox provide photosynthetically fixed Carbon to the host SPS coral. These algae can create proteins just like many other plants can. I have read that most any excess of the protein leaves the coral as mucus and feeds neighboring corals before dissolving and feeding bacteria (which can then be recaught by another SPS in their mucus nets).

I 100% agree with you that the slow rates that people use in their refugiums so that they can use macroalgaes for denitrification basically destroy what they thought they were doing in the first place. Regardless, SPS don't want pods anyway. Waaay too big for most corals and there is very little protein in them anyway. (Plus they get that usually from bacteria anyway). If you stick a hamburger in my mouth, I will eat it but if there is a filet mignon sitting on my plate, well.....

You've been at this a LOT longer than me. I like what you said with the exception of the word, "heavy". It seems to me that "normal" would be proper. (Please be patient with me...I really like to understand and just don't understand why there would be a shortage of Carbon in a reef tank).

PS....I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THE GARDEN REEF RANT. YOU'VE PIQUED MY CURIOSITY.

Last edited:
Wow Anthony that was an awesome write up and follow up. I agree flow is always left behind when caring for SPS. I have a question on the mucus membrane you mentioned on these corals. I have noticed that these corals have atendency to have more mucus then most SPS from slightly deeper water. I always attributed to thicker mucus capturing of bacteria because of the strong wave action. Is thier a deeper story on that??

Curt all corals need external nutrients for survival. the ammount of this need is usually dictated by the amount of tissue the coral needs to grow. In the case of the SPS types its not alot but thier is still a demand. From my understanding of many a talk with Anthony, he believes that a poorer then natural lighting source dictates the need to suppliment the coral externally a little more then they would need to be in the wild (Anthony correct me if I am mistaken).
The concept of the refugium when looking at it from a food producer stand point is that it offer the tank what we used to call "fuge puke" which is basically bacteria, larvae, newkton and so on microscopic organisms. As anthony also mentions fine tuning nature when it comes to food introduction is very tough and thier are alot of differing opinions on how much, what kind and so on. I think the safe bet though is that all corals need some to a certain degree, when where and how you do that is up for debate.

Signing off as Anthony's bigger body double...well maybe triple

Mike

Following up the idea of big Refugium with lots of flow to produce food - won't good Skimmer have "big evil guy" part in that play?

Same idea goes for fish load.

It seems that what most of us trying to do (no matter fish or other load) is to _reduce_ dissolved organics in the water...

- Alex.

Solov that is why its a tricky thing to fine tune. For most folks we have a decent bioload in our tanks, as in fish and others, in most cases if the proper flow is applied thier should be enough accessable food for these types of corals to be supplied with the food they need. Tanks with low bioloads have to use other means, from what I gather Anthony uses the sand and refugium method. Either way its a tough game and alls ways come with goods and bads.

Mike

whew... many neat directions to go in here...

Curtswearing: good points/questions. I'll try to answer/illuminate a bit more re: your post topics/issues

- I would be very cautious to recommend the "all you need is light" bit to most anyone. It reminds me of the early Berlin days (late 80s) when we were slowly starving our corals to death with that same belief as the foundation of our methodology. Make no mistake... even corals that are mostly sustained by zoox symbiosis, are still in dire need of X% from someplace other than the aforementioned. And while out tanks certainly are not at a loss for sources of carbon (DOCs off the scale for many)... that does not mean (quite the contrary) that the forms/sources of it are usable. What are we talking here... tissue soluble nutrients/vitamins... feces from the random assemblage of fishes we keep (this alone is a huge flaw in the "all you need is light" theory when you cannot quantify how many of what kind of fish eating what foods support your methodology). Mind you... I'm not criticizing you at all my friend. :) Truly so.... I'm just playing devil's advocate or at least trying to better explain my perspective. And to emphasize again that corals at large take such a VERY wide range of prey/particle sizes and compositions... depending on feces alone or the random supply of carbon via "unfed" systems is not reliable or even likely to be satisfactory. Hence the reason for recommending the various other (and combined) systems of support: DSB and/or refugium and/or varied target feeding and/or hearty bioloads, etc. What we are trying to do here for the masses of garden reef keepers with the similarly garden variety needs in nutrition (prey size/matter, etc) is literally throw a little bit of everything and the kitchen sink at them. As you state, since our tanks are already running with high DOCs, mechanisms for aggressive nutrient export (skimmers, and/or vegetable filtration and.or chemical filtration, etc... whatever you choose) will necessarily already be in place. So you get the best of both worlds with refugia and/or mature DSBs combined with feeding the livestock and doing regular water changes (skimming, etc). As for the refugia... there really is SOOOO much happening in these vessels... producing and/or supporting articles of potential nutrition. And please remember too... all of this advice is directed at "reef-keepers"... and not just sps keepers. Seriously. SPS keepers make up the tiniest part of the reef-keeping sector of the market. A majority of aquarists have mixed reefs with other corals like leather Alcyoniids, corallimorphs, LPS Euphylliids, etc. These corals are nowhere even close to being as autotrophic as Acroporids, with popular corals such as Fungiids and Goniopora deriving less than 80% of their daily nutrition from zooxanthellae.

My advice most always is general enough top address the masses. I enjoy (sometimes prefer) to speak to beginners and intermediate aquarists. They are the most in need of advice and the most at risk of leaving this hobby in frustration (our industry has a dreadfully high turnover). Most of what I do is in address of these folks to help best as I can. I ask the advanced folks to consider this when they read my contributions... and consider that there really is a world outside of sps keeping ;)

Mike... we are in complete agreement regarding the microlayer on corals... we have the same understanding. Thicker on species in heavier action... thinner on deep water species. Very much in step with "form follows function". Rock on bro :)

Solov... I do not believe that skimmers cause more harm than good. On the contrary. Do they take out good or useful elements from the water? Heck yes! So do corals. We are not taking them out of our reef tanks ;) Point being... without a skimmer, chemical media, vegetable filter, etc removing nutrients or other desirable aspects to the water... you will still need to replenish trace elements, and you will still need to dilute measurable (and immeasurable/unknown) undesirables. Please rest assured that for most folks, a skimmer does far more good and is quite worth it as a very easy and effective means of nutrient export.
kindly,

Anthony

What do you mean thiers a world outside of SPS keeping ????lol.

Anthony if the types of foods is it not the base product that is required?? regardless of the form it comes in?? In the sources of food production in the reef tank/refuge/dsb and so on, is thier not a enviromental impact here? Sort of a great picture to keep in mind. For me throwing multiple and diverse food types past a coral is a great thing, one I think all folks would love to do. But when you put that concept in a closed system with corals that really dont have a much of a demand for the food arent thier bigger concerns here?
I am of the mind that corals should be biotyped to have the kind of sucess we are all looking for. what do you think?

Mike

Mike - again... totally in agreement my friend.

I wish/beg more aquarists to set up more biotope displays! This would relieve so many of the challenges that garden reef-keepers face with aggression, standardized physical params (lighting, water flow), feeding etc. The keeping of unnatural mixes of coral is... so.... well, unnatural!

Its really impractical if even possible at all to try to keep corals collected from... say, 10', 30' and 60' of water all together in the same tank under standardized lighting/water flow, etc. Yet this is what most aquarists do. sigh... :( SPS and garden reef keepers do it alike. Blastomussa, Montipora Acropora and Porites collected from 3 feet to over 60 feet in depth and placed all in the same 24" or so of water (aquarium). Yikes! Really... what do/can we expect?!?

I am in very strong favor of more natural and biotope displays indeed. :)

Anthony

This family of corals has a highly variable color range IME. The ones pictured can vary from light pink to a blueish purple depending on the lighting intensity. One of my all time favorite corals that is hard to beat for bright coloration.

Regards,
Kevin

25Stylophora-pistillata.JPG

This is an awesome thread I found from 2004 on the feeding of corals.

Just adopted a nice 4" green cats paw Stylophora colony and will be keeping it under my VHOs for a month until it moves to a better lit halide system. It is at the top of the tank in very good and random water flow. Anything new on feeding sps corals in the last couple years? Guess I also better get a kalk drip going.

thanks kindly my friend :)

some new feeding options too, yes... greater availability of copepod species and info to culture them at home (see the opceanpods advert here on RF)

also... some good responses to the use/feeding of invert gamtes (see oyster eggs called "Natural Diet" from dtplankton.com)

as for your Stylo... don't be surprised if it has better color under bright daylight VHOs than your halides. Most modern halides are waaaaay too blue. Unless you get a double ended HQI at 10k K or warmer (not bluer), you may not get the color you seek out of your Stylo. FWIW

My first post here, hi everyone.

I just wanted to say that this thread has been very beneficial. Stylophora sp.(s) are my favorite corals and I intend to setup a biotope featuring them and a few other corals in the near future. I will never do a "coral garden" again, as it was way too difficult to keep everything happy and healthy.

I do have a couple of questions (not sure if bringing this thread back will render any answers but it's worth a shot).

The biotope I'm looking to create will be a small-scale version of a picture I stumbled upon--what I believe could be considered a "rubble zone biotope." In the picture I [think I] could identify about 5 different species of 'stony' corals and 2 or 3 different species of 'soft' corals. Namely: Stylophora sp., Pocillopora sp., Acropora sp., various members of the Faviidae family (Favia sp., Favites sp. and Platygyra sp.????), Lobophytum sp., Sarcophyton sp. and Sinularia sp.. Wow, that's a mouthful/lot of typing!

I know that I will not be able to successfully keep this great of diversity within my small environment(s) (my plan: 50 to 65 gallon display with a 30-40gal 'fuge and 15-20gal sump). My first question concerns potential problems with allelopathy. I know that some/most Lobophytum sp., Sarcophyton sp. and Sinularia sp. produce toxic compounds and wonder if I should omit them entirely. I really enjoy their presence however and would like to include at least one specimen within my display. Would it be possible that the frequent (perhaps constant) use of carbon could alleviate these problems? I know there really is no 100% correct/proper answer to this yet, as it's greatly under-studied but any insight would be appreciated. Would introducing the stony corals prior (perhaps 6 months-1 year+) to the addition of the soft coral(s) aid in the success of my tank? I plan to not introduce anything after LR and LS (outside of a small cleanup crew) before the 6-8 month mark, so I have no qualms with waiting to add them.

My next question concerns the addition of fish to the tank (probably around the 1-year mark). I saw a gorgeous picture of some damselfish (no idea of the exact species, still researching) hiding in the branches of a Stylophora and would love to recreate this within my tank but I worry about the small size of my display. Would a group of 5-7 Damsels (perhaps I'll substitute them with a species of Chromis) be feasible in a 50-65 gallon tank? I would prefer to avoid watching a battle royale take place in my tank.

Thanks in advance for any insight and my apologies for the lenghty post (maybe I need to just start a separate thread).

-Thomas

Last edited:
Thomas - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! No problem in bringing up an old thread....its all good :)

I'll defer to Anthony's advice, but IMO even with carbon, I'd avoid keeping softies with SPS. Did you have any thoughts about running ozone with the carbon (ozone on a controller and used properly)?

Back