Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltwaterNoobs

Hey everyone! As evident in the username, my hubby and I are new to saltwater tanks, but have just inherited one that has been running for 2-3 years. It was in sad, sad shape but thanks to a new filter, light, and protein skimmer, the water and two fish in it are much happier! However, we are looking to add some inexpensive starter coral into the tank, and aren't sure which to start with...

So here are the facts about our tank:

It is a 35 gallon hex. There are two fish, a maroon clown and a bengai cardinal, 5 hermit crabs, and 4 snails. We have gotten a few pieces of live rock that had a few hitchhikers (4-5 very small buds of club-tipped anemone and 2 tiny brittle stars).

Our query is what coral to put in that will be compatible with the fish we have. I'm not sure if it is even a matter of compatibility, but again, we are new to this and want to make sure we do this right!

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!!!

Well good starter soft corals are some leathers, kenya tree and some xenia, mushrooms, common zoas and palys. I have some green palys, and some other palys that I dont know the name of that are pretty hearty. These were both on the live rock when I originally set up the tank, and if they have survived this long, they must be hearty. I also have some pink palys and some red people eater palys. If your interested in any of these I can put together an inexpensive frag pack for you. I'll include a free kenya tree. PM me for pics and we can work out meeting up.

You might want to research majano anemones, if they're identical to the ones you have then I suggest you remove them from your tank.

After reading about and seeing pictures of what majano anemones look like, I highly doubt that's what I have. The anemones on my liverock have clear arms with white ball-tips and have all the behaviors of club-tipped anemone. It actually looks exactly like the picture of the glass-anemone you found and posted on this thread: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54580&highlight=majano+anemone

But thanks for the tip!! Now I know what yet another "undesirable" looks like so I can keep an eye out for it in the future! There are so many pests for the tank (aiptasia, majano anemone, etc), it's rather irritating!

@IPisces - PM sent! :)

Back