Coralife Powercenter - Light Timers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JMacIII

Does anyone have any feedback on the Coralife light timers?

I was very happy with them until recently when I had two timers freeze up on me. Each of these powerstrip light timers have worked very well for me. One for over a year and one for about a month. Now they have both ceized to keep time on the timer.

So now I need new timers, and I am wondering if I should just stay away from these timers. Has anyone else have had similiar experiences?

I have had similar experiences. My first strip lasted for about two weeks and i'm on my second strip now and so far so good. I have the dual timer though.
I would say that if this one goes out i'll probably just buy another one verses buying two seperate timers.

I haven't heard very good reviews about those. I just use the heavy duty ones from HD or Lowes.

Wow thats really scary. What would you suggest Nikki? My house has already caught fire twice (years ago.... not tank related). I don't think a third time is exactly a charm. Man... thats scary!!

Thanks for all of the responses. I am now offically scared to use the Coralife Powercenters any longer. I do not want to take a chance with a device that has had any relations to a fire.

I will look at individual timers at Home Depot this evening and go that route.

I'm going to stick a smoke detector in my stand or above the tank. I never really thought about an electrical fire under the tank before. I'm really spooked!!

Here is an old thread that I dusted off today. I checked on my smoke detector and fire extinguisher that I keep for the tank, and bumped it up to remind everyone of fire safety. I have a smoke detector behind the stand, and I keep a fire extinguisher near the tank on the other side of the room (not in the stand!). You will probably find some good information about power strips in this thread. I think the heavy duty powerstrips are the best bet, compared to the cheapo plastic ones. This thread made me completely re-do my electrical: Fire!!! Yikes!!!

I read a thread about those on RC and it had pics attached of the fire it started, I too have one, only had it in service for a few days till i found out about the fires, and put it back in it's box.....never to use again... I did tell one fish store about them and even sent them a link to the thread and they still have them hanging on the wall above the cash register. i can't believe their still trying to sell them...

Alright well we know they are dangerous but what do we replace them with? I'll be damned if i'm going to buy two timers for my lights. Who else makes dual timers?

Well why not buy 2 timers for you lights? It would cost $10. Or you could spend several hundred and buy a aquaconroller, and have all kinds of timing and controlling options.

I personally use 3 timers, 2 heavy duty ones intermatics that are built into my sunlight supply ballasts, and 1 regular intermatic that mixes up the kalk twice a day. I have a digital intermatic that I bought for the kalk mixer that can do 1 min intervals, but it crapped out on me after about a month, dead battery, I replaced the battery and it lasted a whole week and died agian, so it sits in the bottom of the reef crap that couldn't take the punishment pile. I also refuse to use powerstrips, and I just bought 20 outlets and some wire and wired it up on 2 20amp circuits w/ their own breaker on the main panel.

I'm not sure if you can get it for your tank and equipment. But, I couldn't get insurance for my Home Theater system if I put it on a generic power bar. I ended up haveing to spend 200 bucks on a power stripe that they covered. And if there is a fire or an electrical serge ruins the equipment they will even cover the power bar.

After losing a PC to a cheap power bar I won't spend less than 50 bucks on a simple one. In my opinion its all worth the money in the end. Tom has the best Idea. Outlet boxes and GFCI outlets aren't that expensive.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom. If you must use a power strip get good one made from real outlets. HD carries a nice one. Most folks seem to just keep adding without thinking about the limitaions, usually its not the power strip its the user.

Don

Back