Coraline

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
Like a idiot, I let the coraline get out of hand on my front and side panels. Will one of the nice $100 mag cleaner take care of this?

Don

Hmmm...Not sure Don. Isn't your tank acrylic? That may be a pain to remove without scratching the tank if it is...

I think you may need some of the plastic scrapers to remove that stuff, I know it isn't easy.

Try using one of the Kent Marine plastic scrapers..we use them at work all the time and they work pretty good.They also come in diffrent lengths also.
For the thick stuff tilt the blade sideways and use the edge of it..

You can re-sharpen the Kent plastic scraper blades with a file.

Also, I drilled and filed-out a slot on the back side of the black scraper blade holder, so I can reverse the blade for more life between sharpenings.

Hey Don, no it won't take care of it. You need to make yourself a scraper out of acrylic. Remember the one that Disturbedreefer posted a pic of that we made?

DonW said:
Like a idiot, I let the coraline get out of hand on my front and side panels. Will one of the nice $100 mag cleaner take care of this?

Don

Ive got a kent scraper. Thats pretty much worthless after about 30 seconds its dull. I did try a chunk of acrylic square so 8 edges are dull after just a few scrapes. Back out to run it throught the jointer again, after the fourth or fifth time I gave up. Stuff is like 100g sand paper. Two hours later I got 12" clean.

Don

Well acrylic is really your best bet as far as I know. I guess you better stay on top of that :p

oohhh dood :( i mean i know we all want it but not when it's not letting you see your tank :) .
how about an urchin, i don't know if you got one already but i've heard they can eat that stuff.

spongebob lover said:
oohhh dood :( i mean i know we all want it but not when it's not letting you see your tank :) .
how about an urchin, i don't know if you got one already but i've heard they can eat that stuff.

Ive got one, he is huge. Also on my to do list is giving him a hair cut.

Don

krish75 said:
That sucks Don:doubt: Too bad you can't put a razor to the tank. I can't think of anything else...

I'll get it, just may take a few days of work.

Don

I am just using a rectangular block of 1/4" acrylic to scrape the coralline. The acrylic is one grade softer, so it will not scratch the aquarium acrylic.

Best,
Ilham

wwouu just be careful with those spines Don.

i know Krish is gonna love this :p (Krish shh) but how about using a tooth brush, i don't think it'll scratch the tank :0 .. just an idea in case you can't find anything :) .

Sounds like it is micro-mesh time. Last time I did the "sanding thing", it was to get rid of urchin scratches in the acrylic, but it did have the added benefit of getting rid of the accumulated corraline.

Back