Coralline Algae Growth and Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The amount of light you are using will not inhibit coralline algae to any measurable degree; up to 12 - 14 hours a day would be okay.

Waterdog, you mis-understand my question. I want to use the least amount of light on the tank. What is the least amount of time to have the lights on and not interfere with coralline growth.

Regards,

Pat

Coraline likes low light, but for how many hours is another thing. It is said to atleast run your photoperiod for 8 hours a day. Why is it that you want to run a shorter photo period? Anything to do with nuicance algae growing in your tank with the longer photoperiod? If so, you can probably run a blue spectrum (blue actinics) for a few hours, because from what I have learned, coraline loves the blue spectrum (algae not so much)and then run a 50/50 spectrum for the rest of the day. Just a thought...Not really sure why you wanted to run the shorter photoperiod...

I've run tanks with @ 6 to 8hrs. and never had a problem growing purple! just make sure Ca. and Alk is within spec.... but like said above "you may be cutting the new edge on this one"....

Back