Corals bleached

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matsu49

My tank crashed while I was vacationing in Hawaii this past December. I've managed to correct the water conditions and also won the battle with cyano algae. Since then, my SPS corals have been lacking color as if they're bleached. Only my zoas have retained their nice colors. My water parameters are stable and ideal. I just recently started dosing Brightwell Coral Amino 2x a week (half dose) I started it off slow because I didn't want an algae bloom from dosing too much. Anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

Biocube 29
Steves LED
Blue 1 hour ramp up, white 1 hour ramp up, 6 hours both, white 1 hour ramp down, blue 1 hour ramp down

corals lose color super fast, and it sometimes feels like forever until they regain their more colorful pigments. You just have to take your time and make sure the aquarium is stable before everything will color back up. Be patient! Depending on how far stressed they were, it might take more than another month or two

if they have lost color do to dumping zooxanthellae then dosing amonio acids is the LAST thing you want to do! they dumped for a reason...could be too much light. don't want to feed the coral that has dumped zoox due to being overfed.

of course this is just one scenerio. but never the less I would not be dosing anything you can't meaure in a unstable system. chasing you tail trying figure out the problem that way. with a stable tank you can dose magic potions etc cuz you can see the results good or bad.

Back