corals closed up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SDW

Stupid question: what does it mean when the corals are "closed up"? Is it a water quality thing, light thing, or just what they do? They are not closed all the time just occasionally.

Well a little information on your set up would help us out quite a bit. It could be anything from water parameters are out of whack, or it could be stray voltage, or even too much lighting. It is such a broad question without the required information to help you through this. We have some really smart people on here that have alot of good information so help them out so they can help you out.

The type of corals would be helpful as well as a picture. Many soft and LPS (Large Polyp Stony) corals close periodically and can even close for a week or so.

Regards,
Kevin

My corals are soft (kenya tree, torch). They don't seem to stay closed for very long. I have VHO lighting at 110 Watts each-2 white/2 actinic. It is a 90 gal tank. Water parameters all seem ok, but I don't have tests for magnesium. My lights are a little old, though.

Hello,
Many species of coral are called Kenya tree but most of them have similar requirements. The common name torch coral is most often used to describe Euphyllia glabrescens which is a stony coral (LPS). VHO lighting is sufficient if the bulbs are 9 months old or less and the corals are within 12-14" from the bulbs. Typically a 90 gallon tank is 24" tall so if they are placed in the sand or near the bottom the Torch would likely not be receiving enough light. They seldom close except slightly at night. The Kenya corals is more forgiving and usually only closes due to predation or water parameters not being acceptable.

If they close only rarely it is most likely being nipped by a fish on occasion. What fish do you have?

Regards,
Kevin

Back