Corroded Magnets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwaterfishes

12 Step Zoa Program
I have a frag racks that magnets have corroded. Does everyone knows a product I can buy to re-coat these magnets? Of course, must be reef safe.

Last edited:
Are those the outside magnets I sold you?

I have 3 different frag racks with same magnets.....over time if they are in saltwater, they have all corroded. I use these frag racks more often than most people would since I'm limited on real estate. One large frag rack I have became permantly in my frag tank. This is going to be an easy fix. I'm looking for ideas what people have used to coat magnets.

If I was to try and recoat a magnet, I would give the appliance spray-on epoxy spray paint a try.
Or the spray-on dip-it.

So, these aren't the ones I sold you?
If they are I will replace them.

One is from you. It wouldn't be right for you to replace them. You have been generous enough to give me a couple magnets when I broke them.
Like I said, this is an easy fix. I'm thinking of using different products to see which would last longer.

I tried to spay paint uncoated magnets and found it difficult.

I found it was easier to find the right size molds and use a two part epoxy and coat the whole magnet and tabs from the eggcrate.

Hello Caitlen

PM me if these are magnets you got from me. I will replace them. I know that these are coated with epoxy and made to not corrode saltwater. If so, do they have any chips in the coating?

I know that IC-Gel would work to seal a spot once they are dry as Mike suggested. I just got home and saw your thread. Please let me know either way.

All the Best,
Greg P

They make a plastic dip for tool handles. It is a liquid that dries very quickly. It gives tool handles a plastic rubberized coating. I do not not what is in it or what flashes off during the drying period. I think that I also have seen it in a spray.

Thanks everyone for the many great ideas, I'm hitting the hardware store today to get a couple different products.
Finn, Artguy-- you guys are so generous.

Back