Couple Quick Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

07FocusST

I have notice a few unusual things today in my 55G reef. If you have any knowledge about the following questions please reply to the thread.

I have 2 False Percula Clown's, both were bought as very young and have grown to about an inch possibly a hair longer. I have distinguished which of the two is the potential female and have been waiting for them to pair up.

Normally the female will be in her large RBTA and keep the other clown far away. This has been going on for quite some time now (months). She will leave the RBTA (in the center of tank) and find the male just to nip at him or chase him around to the corner of the tank.

Today I noticed the male in the top corner of the tank by my Koralia. I then noticed the female was acting very lazy and not like itself. I caught it with the RBTA's tentacle in its mouth!!!!!!

1. Why would my female clown be biting or have the RBTA's tentacle in its mouth?

2. I found a tentacle that had been cut off (bit off?) just below the RBTA but no change in the RBTA itself indicating injury.

3. The female clown would try to push the tentacles flat into a horizontal position rather the normal veritcal position. Any clue?

4. Also noticed the she would swim into the RBTA and try to grab the tentacles with its side fins to perch for a minute and stop swimming. I have never seen this before. Is this considered normal? Usually she is always on the move.

5. On another subject, I have (what i think to be) Turban Snails in my tank. I caught one of the snails releasing small green orbs/balls into the water. At first I thought they might have been eggs but I found one website that said it is concentrated waste. To tell you the truth that was alot of waste for such a small snail... I am thinking that it isn't waste unless someone can tell me for sure it is otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
1. Why would my female clown be biting or have the RBTA's tentacle in its mouth?
they do this kinda like sucking on a binky like a bay.. they are wierd like that
2. I found a tentacle that had been cut off (bit off?) just below the RBTA but no change in the RBTA itself indicating injury.
sometimes these get twisted off and fly around the tank. NO harm to the nem at all. it will heal over and grow another..
3. The female clown would try to push the tentacles flat into a horizontal position rather the normal veritcal position. Any clue?
this is her home and she is trying to groom her home, kinda like a dog or cat makeing its bed, again, wierd animals
4. Also noticed the she would swim into the RBTA and try to grab the tentacles with its side fins to perch for a minute and stop swimming. I have never seen this before. Is this considered normal? Usually she is always on the move.
the nem is her safe spot(no one can harm it in there) also compleatly normal
5. On another subject, I have (what i think to be) Turban Snails in my tank. I caught one of the snails releasing small green orbs/balls into the water. At first I thought they might have been eggs but I found one website that said it is concentrated waste. To tell you the truth that was alot of waste for such a small snail... I am thinking that it isn't waste unless someone can tell me for sure it is otherwise.they gotta poop too :)

Back