cpr 2 skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If your talking about the backback 2. From past experience, you need to keep the skimmer clean and if you clean the inside of the cup neck with novus acrylic cleaner the foam slide up the tiny neck easier and wont build up scum as fast. But that preety much goes for any skimmer.

Don

I was wondering about that... I wasn't sure if goop would "climb" up the neck faster if it was clean or coated with skimmate. I put 2 limewood airstones in mine. It has helped alot although I don't think the second one (which I recently added) has made nearly as dramatic a difference as adding the first one.

well i just hooked it up and it is amazing it skimmed before it was full with water and i have the buble trap and it is nice but noisey i would give it a 4 out of 5. but i would love to see those picks.

well i found a leak so i am returning it and now i need one again grr. it was leaking where the input tube connects to the acylic and well i am returning grr hate to be looking for a skimmer.

actually, if it was a used unit, that's pretty common...i usually put a second rubber washer on the inside of the skimmer imput, there is only one on the outside, that way you can tighten it up another turn without breaking it.
or you could glue it with silicone to seal it.
if it was anew unit you paid full price for, then yes, return it for another, because after you mod it, it will work better than the remora, and will be cheaper.

oh it was used and i dont want to deal with all of that and then him saying u modded it so i can not take a return.

here you go...
i'll post a thread with step by step build a little later:)
the impellar, first i cut the blades down to about 1/3rd, thern put one later of gutter guard, then one layer of mesh, and then tied it all down with fishing line
027__800x600_.jpg

021__800x600_.jpg

the mesh looks crooked in this pic, but it's just the angle, it's actually very evenly distributed, which is important.
026__800x600_.jpg

here is the regular venturi that comes with the maxi-jet, i modified it only by cutting back the intake side by about 1/2-3/4 inch, and cutting down the 2 little plastic pins sticking out of the sides. then i just stick it in the pump intake w/ a little silicone or a rubber band. also, i put a nice air valve on it to make adjustments. there is another venturi mod as well i will post later
031__800x600_.jpg

deleted the performance pic that was here, it was the wrong one, here's the right one, this is less than 1 hour of skimmate in the cup, i coiuld lift the cup up about another inch to make the foam a little more dry
skeemers010.jpg

like i said, a full step by step to come...:)

Last edited:
hey do u know of any mods for a won brothers clean up 75. i won the bid on ebay lets see if it comes in tackted.

well, after looking at it, i would probably saw off the imput and output and rebuild new ones from grey pvc, then i would attach a mesh moded maxi jet to it, or try to do the same mod to the pump it comes with..
post pics of inside of the pump it comes with..
also maxi jet 1200's are pretty cheap, you could just buy a new one.

Back