CPR bakpak gets a face lift

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skimmy

SKIM FU
http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/08/01/aeroforce-true-generation-bak-pak-skimmer-cpr/

It's about freakin time they did something new...
And while it does look much better than the regular bakpak, I'm really wondering why they chose such a lame little pump to make foam...that's the freshwater hydor Ario pump...im wondering if they left the led in there too....lol
the price is going to determine how good this skimmer is, because if CPR prices it over the regular bakpak price, they are going to be toast...too many other hob skimmer on the market and coming to market that will slap it down if it's in the $200 price range.
they have yet to post how much air it injects or what they are rating the skimmer for. it should street in 60-90 days.
and are they really going to keep using that pathetic unsealed collection cup with a neck that is too small???
REALLY???

Last edited:
here's the only info on the CPR site so far,
http://www.cpraquatic.com/pdf/aeroforcead.pdf

I'm willing to give this thing a shot when available, (whitch they say is available now on the CPR website) the outlet looks like it will actually keep the bubbles from returning to your tank, and I'll be damned if i cant mesh mod this thing...lol
I've looked at that ario pump for skimmer use before, but there are better ways to employ this type of pump and method of making bubbles ...:razz:

well, like i said it looks like it's waaay better than the regular bakpak, maybe even twice the air, i dunno yet, but price will determin how feasible it is.
the smartest thing they could do is continue to charge about $150 for it.

I'm sure it's prolly better than there other BAK PAKs but still, the small cup. small neck??
rubber band for a cup holder. I witness too many bubbles escaping the sides of the bottom of the neck/cup..
Anything really is an improvement.
It does appear to have a bigger reaction chamber..thats a plus..

yep, well, i called it...lol
$200
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=CPR-AEROF1B&Category_Code=

the video looks pretty good, and as near as i can tell, the hydor ario is injecting 200lph of air, but I may be wrong on this... those # are based upon being a fresh water ario 4 pump @ 14-16", and their is some difference in water depth that these are measured in per model...
it does only consume 8-9 watts though which is nice.

well, i think it's overpriced, but it's more power than the deltec mce300 out of the box, and that skimmer is $300. so I guess it's all relative...
God if it just had a different cup... what do I have to do, market a bakpak/aeroforce cup mod??? ...lol

Hey now! I just bought one of those pumps with the green light for my son's FW tank. They should have left the red LED lights in there. It might help them sell more product.:badgrin:

In all honesty, it does look like it'll skim a bit better than the first or second version of the bakpak.

Kinda reminds me of how the bubble magnus hot is set up with two pump's, except twice the cash and not as much air injected.

yup, the BM maxijet w/ pinwheel gets more air easy. I'd love to experiment with that BM pinwheel and venturi combo with the pins cut off and meshed... :) scince they are makin mesh wheels for the atmann on the nac6 it might be feasible that they might try it with the MJ.

Last edited:
i actually like the rubberband cup holder. having used one its really easy to adjust it to the water height which varies quite a bit depending on how the pump is performing. it really depends on the use.

BUT the skimmers really suck either way and they just dont do enough work for anything bigger than 20 gallons IMO even though they always rate em for 100g

Back