cpr bakpak issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
Ok, So i'm setting up my frag new to me frag tank so I am just temporary putting my bakpak on it. I move it from my 20L about 3ft. vertically to the frag tank and put an extension on the feed hose from the pump. Thats all I did to it but now for some reason the pump wont pull any air, the air line just sits there with about 3" of water in it starting from the venturi of the pump. I've tried blowing it out many times only to have the water come back. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

you put a 3' hose extention on the feed pump? if yes, you cant do that with a bakpak, an extention of the pump line into the skimmer where it has to pump up out of the water is going to cause the skimmer pump to have to much backpressure to pull any air.
even if it's in the same tank as the skimmer, an extention on the pump line might make it fail...especially if were talking about a rio pump.
mesh mod a maxijet 900-1200 and put it directly on the skimmer inlet.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28372

My bad, I didn't explain it properly. I moved it from one tank to another tank that was 3ft above it. The extension is only about 6". It is a larger rio1100 thats on it. its worked fine for months but for some reason just moving it to a different tank has caused it to not pull air anymore.

tom

ahh... gotcha, well, i'd still remove the extention if at all possible, and if you have a maxijet lying around, try the mod, you'll double performance.

as far as the rio is concerned, it's probably something to do with the impellar or something is stuck in the venturi line.
oh, and ASM does make a pinwheel impellar and venturi for the rio 1100, 1400 pumps, btw.

Last edited:
Back