CPR HOB Aquafuge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi all, I've got some questions about the CPR HOB Aquafuge2 AF2LG. This is the one that holds almost 5 gallons. The dimensions are 25" X 4 1/2" X 12". I just purchased a used one that came with a RIO 600 pump. I'm planning on putting some live sand, live rubble rock and Chaeto in it. I've also got a bucket of blade calurpa and am wondering if I should add that as well.
Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with this refugium? Anyone have any suggestions about the best way to set it up...how much sand? Chaeto and Calurpa or should I stick with just the Chaeto? The outlet seems pretty big but does convert to a smaller diameter as it goes through the bulkhead into the refugium. I do worry about the possibility of a snail climbing up the outlet tube and plugging the outlet where it changes to the smaller diameter....thus flooding my house...lol. Is this a valid concern? Should I put some kind of screen on the outlet? If so, what should I use?
Another couple questions and then I'm done..lol. I'm assuming it's safe to put a heater in this thing? Last question....I promise. I'm running a Remora Skimmer with an overflow surface skimmer box right now. Do you think it'd be safe to hang the Remora off the back of the Aquafuge? Would that be too much weight for the acrylic? I do have enough room to keep the Remora hanging off the display tank still but don't know if I'll have room for the surface skimmer box. I think I will.
Thanks for putting up with some of the long threads I've had lately. Please offer any input, suggestions or experiences....good, bad and in between all accepted.

As far as hanging the skimmer on the fuge, the CPRs have pretty good support brackets and if a problem did arrise, repairing acrylic when it doesn't have to look good is pretty easy. I'd say give it a try and keep an eye on if for a while. If it isn't sagging or bowing out too bad, you should be good to go.

For keeping snails out of the outlet tube you can use fiberglass screen with a rubber band or zip tie, a suction screen ( Rainbow Lifeguard ) or pretty much anything else you can think of. I would worry about the other side as well if you put a screen on the outlet I would put a screen on the inside of the outlet as well to keep snails and other critters in the fuge from getting stuck the other way. Good Luck :)

I’d stick with just the chaeto in there only. (no calurpa)
Did it come with lighting also?
Not sure what to say about the sand... Many opinions on that one.
I don’t think it would be wise to hang your skimmer off the fuge though.
I hope you can still use the surface skimmer for your protein skimmer. It’s a worthy feature for best performance of your skimmer.
One more thing... Be prepared to have a back up pump ready for that Rio. Rio’s don’t have a very good track record.

Haole, have you had issues with rio pumps? What makes you think they are bad? I have seen quite a few people post bad things about them but none of the people posting seem to have used them. I have a rio 600 running in a smaller tank of mine and have had no problems for 8 months now. regular cleaning and it should be fine like most other pumps....

No lighting came with the fuge. I do have a temporary lighting set up on it though. I decided against attempting to hang the remora from the fuge. I think I'll get better skimming from the display tank than from the skimmer. The overflow/surface skimmer box still fits just fine too!! I've just finished setting up the aquafuge. Unfortunately, I didn't have quite as much live sand as I'd have liked. I do have about 2 or 3 lbs. of rubble in there though, some live sand and lots of chaeto that's full of life already.

Haole, have you had issues with rio pumps? What makes you think they are bad? I have seen quite a few people post bad things about them but none of the people posting seem to have used them. I have a rio 600 running in a smaller tank of mine and have had no problems for 8 months now. regular cleaning and it should be fine like most other pumps....

As a matter of fact yes I did have an issue with a Rio pump.
I was using a Rio 90 on a small UV sterilizer and the pump began to stop working if the power cord was moved around. I believe it worked fine for about a year before that and I consider myself pretty diligent about keeping my pumps clean and I don’t abuse them by carrying them by their cords or anything. Maybe it was just an isolated flaw in that particular pump that I owned, but like you I’ve heard complaints about them elsewhere too. If I’m not mistaken even a fire related issue. :shock:

Back