CPR Hob Aquafuge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Not sure why you'd do this. CPR Aquafuges aren't gravity fed and sit higher than the display tank...so no siphon could take place. Unless I'm missing something. LOL I'm actually looking at mine, trying to figure it out. Ohhhh wait, is this to make sure that your fuge doesn't drain back into your display? Funny, I've never even thought about that, nor have I ever had that issue during a power outtage. I don't think it's possible because the level of the tube in the fuge is at a deeper level than the feed pump.

the reverse flow happens on the pump end...when power goes out or when I do a water change....it drains my entire CPR aquafuge down to the pumps intake... which is roughly 4 gallons being shoved back into my tank....

A nano site suggested to put a siphon break for another poster.... I used a small bit last night and hoped I did it right without screwing something up....i tested it.

without the hole...my tank started filling up and when it reached the center bracket i turned everything back on...drilled the hole and tried it again...

it worked...

I took a risk because I was not sure if the hole was too big or too small or in the correct place either....

Hmmm interesting. I live in a house with old electrical wiring and am always tripping breakers...lol. I've never had my CPR Aquafuge drain back into my tank. As for your drilling, what you described is exactly what people do on their return lines if returning from an under tank sump. I've done it on my 75 and works great!! Water will only drain to the level of the hole and then the syphon stops. One note though, most recommend drilling 2 holes, one on either side of the pipe. This is basically for redundancy, as a single hole can become clogged with coraline, algae, snail, detritus etc. Chances of 2 holes becoming clogged are much less likely. I also recommend poking a toothpick through each hole every now and then, just to make sure. I do this to mine with every water change. Just takes a second.

cool thanks for the tips ...i will use them on the next project ..sumps on both tanks is my next adventure....

The aquafuge hole I have it on the top ....it actually breaks the surface water with incomming water from the pump...

its actually done two good things for me:

1. peace of mind about a flood...

2. the surface water is moving better and has a small ripple from the hole i made..solved my stagnent water issue on the surface ...

all good things =)

Back