Crab in Acro

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hingeback

Hi Sorry to bother you bought this Acropora frag today. Sold as purplre tip.
Any way when I got it home and placed it in the tank I noticed this little crab. I may be wrong but I do not think this is a crab normally associated with Acro's and with it being a frag thought it unlikely to be safe. Has any one any ideas as to its safety of my acro with it. I am not goint to kill it if it is harmful, I will put in my sump.

Any help would be appreciated

would help if I posted picture wouldn't it:oops::oops::oops:
P2164405.jpg

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
Snowboarda42 it does look like that but does appear hairy but it is quite difficult to tell. It may just be colouration, will try and have a better look tomorrow. Past midnight over here in the UK. Good night and best wishes to everyone.

I've got one

Looks fuzzy brown with beautiful blue eyes and VERY sharp looking claws. Mine looks to be as small as yours. I think they are called gorilla crabs? They aren't suppose to be good for reefs and have a reputation of eating sps polyps. I left mine alone and he hasn't caused any trouble in my acro. He resides in my acro with 2 acro crabs. I might move him into my sump when he starts getting destructive, but for now, I leave him be... I'm a sucker for dorky looking cute blue eyed guys!

Back