Cracked Eurobrace

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MtnDewMan

RF Premium Member
I heard a loud pop by the tank today and couldn't figure out what it was until about a half hour ago. When I was feeding the fish I noticed that my eurobracing at the top of the tank has cracked.

Here are some pictures. Both the front corners at the top. No cracks in the main sidewall panes. Just only through the top layer eurobrace.

11-24-05_left_front_corner_crack.jpg

11-24-05_right_front_corner_crack.jpg

And a closeup of the left hand side ...

11-24-05_left_front_corner_crack_closeup.jpg

Will it be okay? Should I get some weldon and put it in the cracks? Will the tank survive without further damage do you think?

Wow, chuck that really sucks. I mean that really sucks. I can fix if for you on saturday. If you have any bar clamps I would run them across the top from front to back. 2 should do it. If you don't have any just go buy some at lowes or homedepot and it shouldn't cost more then 15 or 20 bux. I can come by like I said on Saturday and do some patches.

Wow Chuck, I would'nt give up on it. You can laminate on a new euro brace, Just go 1/2" over the top of the old one.

Don

Bar clamps? Meaning a clamp that will connect the back of the tank to the front of the tank to pull the gap close together?

I will go to Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow and get them, Saturday would be awesome, I would owe you one for sure.

By the way, I don't have a table saw or any acrylic on hand

That sucks Chuck...Sorry to hear that. What caused it? Do you think it was from the lights? Hope you get it sorted out. I think that was kind of Tom to offer to fix it. Good luck...

MtnDewMan said:
Bar clamps? Meaning a clamp that will connect the back of the tank to the front of the tank to pull the gap close together?

I will go to Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow and get them, Saturday would be awesome, I would owe you one for sure.

By the way, I don't have a table saw or any acrylic on hand

Yes, you just dont want it to let go.

Don

Yes chuck that is exactly what I was talking about. Now when you put the clamps on, just tighten them enough to take the strain off the sides, don't try to close that gap completely or anything like that.

Hi Chuck,
Pretty easy fix. You will need a small triangle of acrylic. Once the bar clamps are in place just glue the triangle over the crack and clamp it down (not too tight) overnight. Mine did the same thing a couple of years ago. It's still holding so far.

HTH,
Kevin
PS: I can take some pictures if you need me to.

That is pretty much our plan of attack Kevin ... I plan on getting the bar clamps on it tomorrow once Home Depot opens. Then Tom will be over on Saturday and we will be filling the gap and then placing a patch on top of that area on each side.

Then maybe looking for a 90 for my next tank ... :lol:

The cause is the very small radius in the inside corner of the eurobrace.

Boy your lucky you have BigT to come on over & help, wonder if this problem has been faced with the maker of the tank & has it been modified since?

I believe I was the first tank they did with the eurobrace so I am betting they have learned since then.

Tom will be over tomorrow morning so we can put a couple of corner patches in place.

I have the bar clamps in place this morning.

And I have contacted someone already regarding a possible tank replacement.

Chuck,
My tank has a good inch plus of Eurobracing. You have me looking at it now. Do you have acylic to fix this? I have some but I am pretty far away.

Back