Cracked glass?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ellisz

Hi all,

Helped a friend move a tank over the weekend and noticed that there was a hairline crack in the overflow that ran from one bulkhead to another. You could feel it from the inside but not the outside. This is on a All Glass tank with the Megaflo overflow.

Upon setting it backup, we filled the tank part way and also filled the overflows. We had dursos in the overflow box so all the water is still in the overflow as the level is below the T. We have not seen any leaks but are not sure what to do.

I have seen scratches in the glass you could only feel on the inside and never gave it a thought.

Thoughts?

Are you sure its not silicone? When i first got my 210 i thought i cracked the glass and then i tryed picking at it and it was only silicone. If it isn't well i don't know what to say. I don't like to play around with water. Especially in large amounts.

Ummm I recently had to clean up about 20-30 gallons of saltwater from my living room carpet. This was due to a silicon failure, not a cracked tank. However, if it is a crack and lets go, it could shatter the entire tank, in which case, you could have a really wet disaster on your hands. I don't know if I'd chance it or not.

Ummm I recently had to clean up about 20-30 gallons of saltwater from my living room carpet. This was due to a silicon failure, not a cracked tank. However, if it is a crack and lets go, it could shatter the entire tank, in which case, you could have a really wet disaster on your hands. I don't know if I'd chance it or not.

Agreed!

Buddy, If this is a crack, last thing you want to come home to is a house full of wet floors. JMO;)

this is on a 125 so the mess would be bad for sure. I know it is not silicone. Could it be repaired? It is a pristine tank otherwise.

IMO, it can be repaired and would be worth the effort but the effort would require replacing that entire sheet of glass. There may be other ways but I'm not familiar with any of them...lol. Maybe call up a glass shop or 2 and get some advice. What kind of tank is it? Some have lifetime warranties.

Doubt warranty would play a factor. Can't really say how it happened. Seems like a defect would be the only reason to warranty it.

If it did leak, would it most likely drip or explode? Are these tempered after they are drilled?

Ellis I am going to vote explode. If they are tempered.

Last edited:
I think if it were tempered, you wouldn't have a crack like the one you described. It would shatter before cracking in a line like that. Most tanks are only tempered on the bottom.

Yep tempered would just explode, no cracking! That is about the only way to fix it, replace the panel completely, don't know of any other way other than putting the panel in a glass furnace & reheat it to almost liquid state!:lol:

Well, the crack is on the bottom glass so if it was tempered, it would have exploded and not cracked. This would mean that the bottom was not tempered. But according to the LFS, they are tempered. hmmm.

Maybe it was not cracked? It felt like a lip with the finger nail...

This is nuts.

Well a deep scratch could lead to a deep shatter if something would hit the right spot, this may call for a professional to take a close look at it.

LOL, but when you are getting info second hand these things can happen I guess...

Turns out that it was indeed a bead of silicone. I went over and checked the glass out and once I ran the razor blade over it, the line was gone! Wow was that a mess avoided.

Thanks for all the tips!

LOL, but when you are getting info second hand these things can happen I guess...

Turns out that it was indeed a bead of silicone. I went over and checked the glass out and once I ran the razor blade over it, the line was gone! Wow was that a mess avoided.

Thanks for all the tips!

That is definately good news!!!!

It is never worth trusting a large glass tank if it has a crack or any other problem that can cause it to burst. the water mess is horrible but have any of you thought about the velocity that the tank comes apart in? If you were in front of it when it happend (or god forbid one of your children) there would be large pieces of glass exploding in your face! I have heard stories about tanks giving out and large pieces of glass spred out 25-30 ft from the tank!!

Glad you resolved the problem!

Matt

Back