Craigs List scam beware

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I was trying to sell a tank on Craiglist and got this email. Did a google search and found it be a scam.

Ok,

Thanks for prompt reply, am really greatfull,am ready to purchase it now. The easiest way for me to pay for your item is thought Electronic Cashier's Check, which is an E-Check, draw from (Bank Of America) and all what you need for the E-check is to buy Business Check Paper at Walmart, Office max, Office Depot, Stationery Store, Shopping Mall. And it cost $10. Once you purchase the business check paper. The echeck will be send immediately thought email, for you to have it printed. then you will proceed to your bank and deposit the check. I will wait for your bank to verify and clear the E-check before we proceed with shipment. As my Bank Operator informed me that the E-check will use two or three days before the check will clear at your bank. For you to know more about the echeck you can visit there website www.InstiCheck.com.

Get back to me ASAP to know if this helps

Bill

I've gotten similar replies to craigslist ads I've posted.
Several from someone wanting me to accept e payments or even mailed checks for items that were pretty much not worth it to ship.

You have to be wary. Someones always out to scam you.

95% of Craigs list offers over asking price are based on stolen or fraudulent credit cards and cashiers checks. They make offers to buy almost anything for sale.

CASH IS KING!

Heres' the followup email.

Hello,

I can only make the payment thought electronic cashier's check, due to the nature of my profession, and there short notice traveling jobs, I had to leave town and will be back in a week, and also the E-check is new technology and is very legit and fast, if you know are still willing to sell the item for me, proceed to purchase the Business check paper, and let me know the cost of the check paper because am going to pay for it..

So don't worry about the shipment, the item will be pick up by Private shipping company. Get back to me when you purchased the Business check paper..

Been there, done that. Sounds so familiar, from when I was trying to sell an entertainment center a couple years ago. In my particular case it was more like, " Ill send you a cashiers check and you can then send me the change". Unfortunately, people actually fall for this kind of scam otherwise the thieves wouldnt still be doing it.

Heres' the followup email.

Hello,

I can only make the payment thought electronic cashier's check, due to the nature of my profession, and there short notice traveling jobs, I had to leave town and will be back in a week, and also the E-check is new technology and is very legit and fast, if you know are still willing to sell the item for me, proceed to purchase the Business check paper, and let me know the cost of the check paper because am going to pay for it..

So don't worry about the shipment, the item will be pick up by Private shipping company. Get back to me when you purchased the Business check paper..

Play the game. Tell him you bought the paper, let him send you the information. Print it on plain paper and take it to bank of america. See what they have to say about it. If its legit ok if not let BOA fraud department deal with it. Get another crook off the street.:)

Don

I had hilariously bad attempt at this on a refrigerator I was selling on Craigslist a couple years ago. The guy claimed to live in the Netherlands and wanted to buy the fridge site unseen for more than the asking price using, you guessed it, a money order. I never bothered responding to it. Shipping a refrigerator to the Netherlands would probably cost as much as the refrigerator itself.

Another similar scam runs through Paypal and having non confirmed addresses, etc.

Online fraud is so big because in most cases people don't know what recourse they can take after the fact. If for some sad reason you are taken by someone online and you at least have a name and address call the police in their county. The police will follow it up as theft/internet fraud.

One way to help protect yourself when buying an item, is to always use a credit card even if using Paypal, pick the CC option. Charge backs give the card-holder the benefit of the doubt requiring the merchant to provide proof of delivery of intact merchandise.

As a seller, only ship to one AFTER PAYMENT IS CONFIRMED IN HAND. Helps to have good references plus a real land address (other than a PO Box) and phone # you have confirmed.

I posted an ad for a bird I was selling on a bird forum. I recieved hundreds of these scam e-mails in response. One was obviously a stock letter sent to all people trying to sell pets. It said "I am very interested in purchasing your pet. I have a large fenced backyard for your pet to run around in . . . " I was selling a cockatoo, don't think the fence would do much:lol:

I insisted that the person who bought my bird come to my house and interact with the bird and I would then decide if I felt the person could handle the bird. The lady who took him spent a couple hours at the house and I fell he has a good home.

These scam artist are everywhere.

Last edited:
These scam artist are everywhere.

ya got that right.

a few years ago Barbs phone rang and she got all panicky talking to whoever was on the line. she looked over at me and asked me to get her credit card so i did. then she starts reading off the #'s to the person on the phone. im like what are you doing? who is that? she says it the credit card company. im like BS hang up the phone. she starts reading the #'s again and i take the phone away from her and hang up. i check the caller id and its a privet #, then the phone rings again but i guess they didnt block it this time so i answer in my best girly voice and they say they are the CC Co. and someone got her CC # and want to verify the # to investigate i play along for a few and then go back to my real voice and give the guy a little what for. he laughs and says you cant do anything, i say we will see.for the next 2 months i called that # constantly, at lest 10 15 times an hour untill they would just leave the phone on the table. there was a room full of these people all with phones doing the same thing. you could hear them doing the same thing to other people.

we contacted the AG's office but they wouldn't do anything.

thats my story, sorry for the rant:D

On a positive note: I sold my 525 gallon aquarium on craigslist without a gliche.

I have sold and bought several things on Craiglist. This was the first real negative. But it smelled fishy so I did a google search and it was almost word for word.

Oh jeez. i just bought a cell phone off ebay and after my payment cleared i havent heard from her. she has good reputation and everything but now you guys got me all nervous.. :0

Back