Craziest Thing Ever!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

billaweed

Stumped Irishman
This morning when I woke up I took a peak at my tank and immediately was depressed. I found my favorite invertebrate that I've had since almost the beginning (Electric Blue Hermit) out of its shell and dead(?). So to prevent a spike I threw it away.

About 7 hours later I looked in my tank and there he was! WHAT THE HELL! Did he somehow reproduce by himself? I know it wasnt molt because it had guts and all legs.

I've only been in this hobby for about 8-9 months now so I've never seen this. I've only had one electric blue hermit and he's about 1 inch tall by 1 1/2 inches wide.

any comments?

thanks
Brandon

The molts have all the legs and antenna. Crabs are segmented animals and in order to be flexible, parts of their shell hinge under other parts and are inside the body cavity. You will see the remnants of these parts when the crab molts and it looks like guts.
Unless you believe in miracles, it is your crab that moulted

it was like a full body molt then.. because when I threw it away it had guts and everything. then i see later that he's in my tank and in his shell crawling around.lol.. freakin crazy. I was thinking to myself "Didnt I throw you away this morning?", or "is that the gost of Crabby Blue Legs coming back to haunt me?" lol

im losing it

Just a thought......if he has any kind of markings on his shell now that look like the Virgin Mary, you can sell him on EBAY for a bizillion bucks!!!

Back