Crisp White 10K

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
As some of you already know, I have my new cube setup and I'm running a single 250w 12K Reeflux bulb over it, in a PFO metal halide setup. In my old 75gal, I ran 20K XM's and loved the look of it against my blue acrylic backround. Now that I have switched to a black acrylic back on my new cube, I don't think I'm liking the look of the blue tint because it makes the backround look really dull...So, I was curious as to what 250w 10K (mogule based) bulb you guys would recommend for a very crisp white color? (I won't be using any supplemental lighting either, just the single MH)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Hijackers are welcomed to try their luck as well:p

Last edited:
well i don't know about the 250
but i have used 10k hamilton and the look is white as white it can get :p and, the only thing is almost at the end of their lifetime it starts to look yelloish to me at least .... then again i have bad eyes :p .

Thanks Gabbs...I looked at the Hamilton's on that website Scooter gave me and they looked pretty nice, but I still wanted feedback from actual people why I asked. They may be an option:)

IMO, the XM10k SE 250W bulb is about as white as you can go. Mine is still going for about 10 months and still nice.

Others will tell you to go Reeflux (Coralvue) 10k SE. I have no personal experience with them, but I can tell you the XM10k will make your corals and anemones grow like nothing else ;)

I would only stick to those two bulbs for 10k. The Ushio is another well-respected bulb, but it does have a rather 'yellow' look.

Best,
Ilham

The Ushio is another well-respected bulb, but it does have a rather 'yellow' look.

yeah i used that one and i seriously didn't like it right from the beginning :doubt: , everything looked really ugly for a year :lol: .

wait Krish.... i'm a baboon :lol:

IMO, the XM10k SE 250W bulb is about as white as you can go. Mine is still going for about 10 months and still nice.

Others will tell you to go Reeflux (Coralvue) 10k SE. I have no personal experience with them, but I can tell you the XM10k will make your corals and anemones grow like nothing else

I would only stick to those two bulbs for 10k. The Ushio is another well-respected bulb, but it does have a rather 'yellow' look.

Best,
Ilham

Thanks Ilham...I was very impressed with the XM bulbs when I used the 20K's on my 75gal. And I like the fact that you don't describe them as having a yellow tint to them. I will keep the bulb I have now for later when I add corals to see if I like it then, but for now, I'm looking for something crisp. Thanks for the reply:)

so what the heck am i ?

i guess i'm a chunky walking penguin then

ROFL! I didn't mean it like that monkey...I mean Gabby:p I meant I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the bulbs rather than reading reviews on bulbs that make them seem better than they really are (like seaclone skimmers:p)

spongebob lover said:
so what the heck am i :lol: ?

i guess i'm then

Gaberella.. I don't think you're a chunky walking penguin...

I use XM10ks but I do supplment with atinic... I like the look better, but like the growth with the 10k's par output.

I switched back to xm 10,000k bulbs too. I am about to hook up some supplemental atinic bulbs though, I really like the blue color.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will go with the XM 10K's. I won't be using any supplemental lighting if I can help it. I'm not exactly sure how a crisp white bulb will look, but I know for right now, I'm not digging the blue tint all that much against the black backround. I may change my mind later, but for right now, I want to try another bulb. Andrew saw the tank yesterday all lit up and loves the spectrum, so does my wife, but we'll see. Thanks again:)

XM 10K have the best PAR and SED cure there is and look good

Thanks for the reply Boomer! You just put the icing on the cake!:p

I am using the 10 k Ushios but also supp with atenic. I may try the XM's next we will see

Yeah, I've heard time and time again that Ushio 10K's only look good with actinics. I've been impressed so far with the XM bulbs (from having the 20K's) and the only reason I didn't get a 12K XM is because they didn't make them so I had to switch brands. :)

I'm with those that suggested the xm's. I've used them the last 2 years and with no actinic supplement. I love the bright, crisp, white they give off.

In fact I'm ditching the reeflux and am going back to the xm's... previous post regarding that issue..

SueT said:
I'm with those that suggested the xm's. I've used them the last 2 years and with no actinic supplement. I love the bright, crisp, white they give off.

In fact I'm ditching the reeflux and am going back to the xm's... previous post regarding that issue..

Hi Sue! How are your tanks :)

I also do not use actinics while the XM bulb is on.

The color is just "right", and it does save energy from not running any actinics.

Best,
Ilham

Elmo18 said:
Hi Sue! How are your tanks :)

I also do not use actinics while the XM bulb is on.

The color is just "right", and it does save energy from not running any actinics.

Best,
Ilham

hey Elmo, how are you? tank is doing great. Just finished my redo... replaced all my old live rock with new and got my fish back and am starting the "hunt" for some nice sps frags..:lol: I too think the xm's look is just right..

Back