CUC suggestions for green algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We just came back from a week long vaca away from home and wow did the green algae take advantage of my lack of attention. It is so thick in places it is taking over the corals and not letting them open any longer. To make matters worse, the skimmer was full, full, full and had foam running down the outside of the cup. I have scrubbed the skimmer clean and reset it running. I will change out the Phosban in the reactor tomorrow to help with phosphates. The media that is in there now is only a few weeks old but I will freshen it up anyway. I know our CUC is lacking right now and there is no Tang in the tank. We are going shopping for some critters this week and getting a Tang as well but it will need to be in the QT for several weeks before seeing the tank this time. What CUC members and how many should we pick up to clean this stuff up. We are a 70 gal tank with a 36" x 15" footprint. Manual removal is very difficult so I would rather let critters/snails do the work.

Eric,

Depending on how thick the algae is, removing by hand is most likely an option that cannot be avoided..

I would do 20-25% WC once a week and run skimmer wet until algae is under control..

hey eric, careful with those emerald crabs. I bought two of them. One is cool, the other is pretty agro, ripping stuff out of my LPS corals and generally causing havok. I had to banish him to my fuge, where he eventually died.

I'd be wary of adding them again to my tank, as I've heard others with the same issue. Kind of hit or miss depending on the temperment of the crab

Back