Custom made canopy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Recife

Hi,
Where in the Seattle area can I order a customized canopy?
Also, can you give me a ballpark figure of how much that might cost? My tank is a 125gal, 48" long and I'm thinking of one of those wooden canopies that open at the front. It has to be high enough to fit the lighting fixture.

Thanks.

I would recomend big-dave or chris crow. Both can be found on this board. They will be more than a stand you might get at petsmart or similar, but they won't be made out of particle board, and they will look like a piece of furniture when all is done. Before I had my tank made, my wife hated the fish tank. I had this crappy DIY stand that was mostly 2x4s and leaked light. My wife loves the stand we had built and the tank sits in our living room now.

Mat

:) I had Saltwater City do my build for the custom system, and its furnature grade with melanine cabinet interior. Back in 2000 the hood was about $250. I recommend open back which is where I mount my fans and ballasts into a pigtail easy to remove unit. Not only do I have the dual front panels, but the top lid is on a piano hinge held up by built-in prop. This large access is key for moving big items without removing the entire canopy. Make sure, if you go halides, allow for adding 2 4" fans. So far, I haven't needed a chiller yet...which is also why it is important to make your lighting system flexible. I have had excellent growth with a 7-8watt per gal ratio, but for me that means 570w VHO minimum :rolleyes: - 880w max :cool: -- thats VHO actinic + 2 250W 10k XM (best for bluer cast). But thats my preference. I found Ushio's too yellow. Depending on what you grow will determine the wattage needed, better to error on a larger wattage ballast w/ a lesser bulb so you can always change your mind later since ballasts are similar in expense, and well... they are all expensive

Good luck.

Back