Cutting anemones??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jasminerice114

I just picked up an anemone from a person off Craigslist and it was shriveled up, now 2 days later it have opened up it appears as if the guy tried to cut it into 2.. It looks ok. Doesn't really eat food unless I leave the power head off for more then an hour. It's foot is sticky but it's cut 75 down the middle through its mouth.. Is this worth keeping or will it nuke my tank... I'm worried it will die and float into my power head any input??

when you visit the guy's tank. Does it appear that he cut it in half? I mean sometimes the anemone stressed out when in bag and probably split in your tank just you haven't notice it. It happnened to me also, found two anemones in my tank when I bought just one.

Ok so ill take it as a good deal, I just never seen them cut, only reason why I think it was cut is because the tenticles are cut too possibly from moving around while being cut... But like I said it scared me because in the past I lost a whole tank to a dead anemone that got sucked up into my power head,

You should always keep your eye on a splitting Nem anyways cause it could still split and get to the powerhead when it resides to move after the split if you are that concerned about it, turn the powerheads off at night for a couple of days so you can atleast be sure it can't happen while your asleep. Then in the morning when you check on it and turn the lights on, flip the powerheads back on.

Back